Hornady A-Tip bullets 250gr 30cal bullet

Someone wrote that the lead is too hard to expand well. That's the one thing that I've heard or seen that makes on game performance questionable.

That is a good question. I do not have those dimensions. A quick Call to Hornady would get you what you are looking for.

Thanks for the tip.

Because I'm in the UK, I thought their contact form on the website was my best option. I sent them a message requesting the info last week, but so far, no reply.

Beginning to wonder if this is information they'd readily give to the public?!

I'll try again using their contact form and hope someone picks it up this time...

In the meantime, if any of you have any calibre of these A-Tips to hand, it would be great if you could make a few measurements and put the results in this tread... :)

Thanks for the tip.

Because I'm in the UK, I thought their contact form on the website was my best option. I sent them a message requesting the info last week, but so far, no reply.

Beginning to wonder if this is information they'd readily give to the public?!

I'll try again using their contact form and hope someone picks it up this time...

In the meantime, if any of you have any calibre of these A-Tips to hand, it would be great if you could make a few measurements and put the results in this tread... :)

If they fail to get back to you post up. I will give them a call and ask.

what 6.5 are you running them in?

Just a 6.5 creedmoor. I'm actually fixing to go try them here in the next hour. I'd really like to see a cut away of them. I'd like to try them on game but always have reservations in using a new round on what might be a trophy animal.

Saw on a FB page people were already crying about them being expensive. It's like, they're probably not for you anyways.(Eye roll)
I think you're probably right. I'd say they are meant for the diehard benchrest/1000 yard folks. The ones who could buy a new truck for the price of their rifle.

They shot ok, more of the ammo and my own errors. .5-.75 looks about the average with the copper creek ammo.

Had 3 rounds of 147's when I finished I had a nice 1/3 moa group. Just to be sure. I may give the 135's ago.

Not recoil shy at all but noticed more gun movement with these heavier rounds. Just an observation

the 153s liked to be closer to the lands than the 147s in my workup. yours might tighten up with handloads. any chance of recovering a bullet?

If they fail to get back to you post up. I will give them a call and ask.

Many thanks for offering to call Hornady, NEMHunter.

Pleased to say they have responded to my request this time (perhaps they read in here of their previous failing:)

So, for anyone who might also find them useful, here are those measurements for the .30cal A-Tips...

250 A-Tip / in / mm
Bullet Length: / 1.858 / 47.19
Ogive to Tip: / 0.975 / 24.77
Bearing Length: / 0.633 / 16.08
Boat Tail: / 0.250 / 6.35

230 A-Tip / in / mm
Bullet Length: / 1.760 / 44.70
Bearing Length: / 0.535 / 13.59

Cheers

Many thanks for offering to call Hornady, NEMHunter.

Pleased to say they have responded to my request this time (perhaps they read in here of their previous failing:)

So, for anyone who might also find them useful, here are those measurements for the .30cal A-Tips...

250 A-Tip / in / mm
Bullet Length: / 1.858 / 47.19
Bearing Length: / 0.633 / 16.08

230 A-Tip / in / mm
Bullet Length: / 1.760 / 44.70
Bearing Length: / 0.535 / 13.59

Cheers
The nose and boattail are exactly the same on both bullets. All the extra weight is in the bearing surface. They could have made the nose longer on the 250, building it for an 8 twist, but it won't really make much difference.

The 250 is too heavy for anything less than a 300 Norma AI and distances past a mile. If either works for hunting the 230 is all most 30 cal can handle. The 250 doesn't run faster until 1500-1700 yds.

The nose and boattail are exactly the same on both bullets. All the extra weight is in the bearing surface. They could have made the nose longer on the 250, building it for an 8 twist, but it won't really make much difference.

The 250 is too heavy for anything less than a 300 Norma AI and distances past a mile. If either works for hunting the 230 is all most 30 cal can handle. The 250 doesn't run faster until 1500-1700 yds.
I was kind of wondering what they had in mind for the 250. Wouldn't it be a good match for the .30-378 and it's freebore?

I was kind of wondering what they had in mind for the 250. Wouldn't it be a good match for the .30-378 and it's freebore?
I don't understand it either. The video I saw said the 250 was built for an 8.5 twist because that's what the 300 PRC has as standard twist. But to me the 250 is way to heavy for the 300 PRC. Maybe not. It's about the same BC and velocity that's standard for the Edge shooting a 300 Berger. Maybe there are competitions where the PRC/250 would fit in. But the big bores will stomp that combination at 1-2 mile distances.

I think I could get the 250 to 3200 FPS in the rifle I have. But I am not going to try it unless it will work for hunting. So time will tell. Yes I am going to use it for ELR shooting BUT do not want to have to switch around bullets. The one I use for hunting will be the one I shoot at targets. Unless I can get a High BC solid then I will have to loads....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.