Hornady A-Tip bullets 250gr 30cal bullet

So the 230 A-tip is very similar to 230 Hybrid, but a bit longer. My 300 norma improved is throated for those particularly, so the A-tip will be an easy setup. N570 should get 3050 with it.

6mm 110 grain A-Tip measurements.
Hornady A-Tips 6mm measurments.jpg

Hi all,

Speccing up a 30-28Nosler build and wondered if anyone knows bearing/ogive to tip & the boat-tail lengths for the 250 & 230 A-Tips?

That is a good question. I do not have those dimensions. A quick Call to Hornady would get you what you are looking for.

This is a cross section L to R, Berger vld, Sierra smk, a tip, there's no open cavity behind the atip and that may inhibit expansion. This is NOT my photo, nor have I cross sectioned an eldx or eld-m, perhaps they're full nose as well, we all know they expand. I have high hopes for em. The ballistics look fantastic on the 230s

Attachments

• f54266d54210288054fe2fa7ae3722bd.jpg
    f54266d54210288054fe2fa7ae3722bd.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
This is a cross section L to R, Berger vld, Sierra smk, a tip, there's no open cavity behind the atip and that may inhibit expansion. This is NOT muly photo, nor have I cross sectioned an eldx or eld-m, perhaps they're full nose as well, we all know they expand. I have high hopes for em. The ballistics look fantastic on the 230s

That picture came from LRO.

The A-tip does look like it will not expand very good at all. Time will tell. I will not hold my breath though! I can only hope.

Have some of the 153's loaded by copper creek to try out for my 6.5.
what 6.5 are you running them in?
I am working with them in my 6.5 PRC. the velocities pretty good and the accuracy has been good they didn't like a lot of jump.
these might be an option as a hunting bullet with the thicker jacket and the way they react when hitting the dirt backstop they should hold together better than the 147s close in at higher velocity

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.