Hornaday A Tips ?

tim2446

Is anyone shooting the new A Tips? If so, has anyone killed anything with them and how did they do compared to a Berger?
I bought some of these thing awhile back and started weighting them and some inconsistencies in the weights. I never started loading any because of current powder supply's. Once again can anyone give me first hand flight and kill info?

focus
I'm looking for someone who has first hand knowledge on shooting and killing A TIPS

I used the 190 atips in my 28 nosler at 3100fps. They were very inconsistent on game. Penciled through my speed goat at 350yards. In and out no expansion of any kind. Thought i missed at first. Then shot a mule deer at 605 and it hit spine and it exploded. Took out like 8" of spine haha. Then follow up shot poked right through with zero expansion right through the lungs. Next was a spike bull at 200 yards. It did fine with him. Shot a couple coyotes also and it grenaded them. Fur and guts everywhere haha

I used the 190 atips in my 28 nosler at 3100fps. They were very inconsistent on game. Penciled through my speed goat at 350yards. In and out no expansion of any kind. Thought i missed at first. Then shot a mule deer at 605 and it hit spine and it exploded. Took out like 8" of spine haha. Then follow up shot poked right through with zero expansion right through the lungs. Next was a spike bull at 200 yards. It did fine with him. Shot a couple coyotes also and it grenaded them. Fur and guts everywhere haha
great info Thanks!
So kind of like the old Berger's/ target Berger's , needs a little bone to really make it do it's thing.
Hi shoulder sounds like the sweet spot. Thanks again!

Tim,
Really? Did you read the thread I linked above? It shares first hand knowledge and experience with A tips.

I don't have a large sample size, but do have a few. Three antelope out to 580 with a 153 A tip and a bull at 688 with a 230 Atip. Jury is still out. Performance on the elk and two of the antelope was excellent and on the third antelope the bullet penciled through. Bullets can do weird things and a sample of one doesn't indicate much.

Tim,
Really? Did you read the thread I linked above? It shares first hand knowledge and experience with A tips.

I don't have a large sample size, but do have a few. Three antelope out to 580 with a 153 A tip and a bull at 688 with a 230 Atip. Jury is still out. Performance on the elk and two of the antelope was excellent and on the third antelope the bullet penciled through. Bullets can do weird things and a sample of one doesn't indicate much.
Totally agree, every bullet is not a bomb. I'm not turned off or on yet. keep sending first hand
accounts !
when it's all said and done I'm still going to try them for myself.
Thanks for the info

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.