A-tips on game?

palerider3

Has anyone had an opportunity to use the new Hornadys on any game yet? I'm most concerned with the 230s and 250s as a long range elk bullet but I'm thinking about trying the 153 to replace 147s in my 6.5 SAUM also. I've had pretty good luck with ELD-Ms in the past and was thinking of giving these a try.

Tag. My overall results with the 147's were not spectacular, so I am undecided if I should try these or not. Maybe I will do a review like I did with the 147's, we do have 9 pronghorn 5 elk and 3 deer tags to fill, I guess it depends on if the 156 Bergers are out in time to develope a load for before season. Either way, I'm interested in what people find.

Man I wish I had that problem. Didn't draw one single tag this year!
Man that blows!!! As a Wyoming resident, I just apply for areas that are only valid on private land as I grew up here and know everyone, 100% draw odds for doe/fawn pronghorn. My first choice buck pronghorn tag is roughly 50% draw odds, and my second choice is 100%, I just have to travel 5 hours for it. So my wife and I always draw 6 pronghorn tags, plus my niece applies and hunts with me as well, so 9. So does my cousin, but he will use his new .270 Sherman this year. 1 each OTC deer and elk tags, and a 100% draw late season cow/calf tag for my wife and I each finishes us out. My cousin got 2 late season cow/calf tags, and a coworker got one as well. We rented a forest service cabin for that hunt, we will have 4 days to kill 5 elk ha ha, the area can certainly provide the game, but I don't know how we're gonna fare packing out that many elk in 4 days ha ha. Hoping to have some new bullets to test out and document/review, last year with the 147's was fun.

The GA Precision guys shot some antelope with the 135 last fall. And psinclair has killed a bunch of coyotes with it. That's about all I've seen on animals.

Tag. My overall results with the 147's were not spectacular, so I am undecided if I should try these or not. Maybe I will do a review like I did with the 147's, we do have 9 pronghorn 5 elk and 3 deer tags to fill, I guess it depends on if the 156 Bergers are out in time to develope a load for before season. Either way, I'm interested in what people find.
What were your experiences with the 147s? What speed and impact velocity? Thanks

My questions is why? They are sold as a match bullet, and yes i understand many use the ELD-M on game, but those also do not cost .75 a bullet. There is significantly more and better bullets designed to use on game, and if you are okay with spending that much why not just step up to one of the Hammer bullets?

My questions is why? They are sold as a match bullet, and yes i understand many use the ELD-M on game, but those also do not cost .75 a bullet. There is significantly more and better bullets designed to use on game, and if you are okay with spending that much why not just step up to one of the Hammer bullets?

Why? Because they work really well.

Why? Because they work really well.
Based on what testing? They are just hitting the market now, have maybe been in the general public's hands for 3 weeks? There is a potential someone used them on a spring bear hunt, but i doubt there has been enough data collected to say they work really well.

Based on what testing? They are just hitting the market now, have maybe been in the general public's hands for 3 weeks? There is a potential someone used them on a spring bear hunt, but i doubt there has been enough data collected to say they work really well.
I think he ment the 147 and I expect the Atip will be very similar

can't remember who, but someone on here spoke directly to hornady and they said they feel they will probably act like a fmj--they said they are not internally the same as a-max's or eld-m's (they claim that the a-tip has a harder core) so they don't think they will perform similar to the old match bullets

of course I'm sure they threw in the disclaimer that they are match not hunting bullets so they don't recommend them on game

from their "cut apart" picture, there seems to be a decent hollow cavity just under th aluminum tip-- if this is actually true, then I would guess they will expand well

anyone cut one in 1/2 yet?

can't remember who, but someone on here spoke directly to hornady and they said they feel they will probably act like a fmj--they said they are not internally the same as a-max's or eld-m's (they claim that the a-tip has a harder core) so they don't think they will perform similar to the old match bullets

of course I'm sure they threw in the disclaimer that they are match not hunting bullets so they don't recommend them on game

from their "cut apart" picture, there seems to be a decent hollow cavity just under th aluminum tip-- if this is actually true, then I would guess they will expand well

anyone cut one in 1/2 yet?
Very interesting! I would have guessed they would be a higher b c eldm
Not sure why they would harden the core?
Usually obturation is desirable.

I have read of other bullet mau's that use slightly harder lead cores for match bullets---they claim that too soft of a lead core can start to separate from the jacket at high speeds from hand-loading and can cause downrange accuracy issues

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.