A-tips on game?

Can't tell where the impact was on my phone, maybe high shoulder? Exit looks like it went out the opposite side shoulder?

TTT, Anything
Nothing helpful, I shot a small whitetail buck in the head at 611 and it dropped in it's tracks but that's not much of a test of a bullet. I'll be elk hunting again next weekend and hopefully have something to report.

Attachments

• IMG_20191013_181908327.jpg
    8.7 MB · Views: 231
congrats on a great shot at 600+ yds. but that bullet didn't expand it penciled through or the top of the head wouldn't be picture friendly. that is the same thing I seen testing the 153 in my 6.5 prc more penciling or tumbling than expansion

congrats on a great shot at 600+ yds. but that bullet didn't expand it penciled through or the top of the head wouldn't be picture friendly. that is the same thing I seen testing the 153 in my 6.5 prc more penciling or tumbling than expansion
I thought the same thing at first, but then remembered this doe antelope I shot. 200 yards with a 140 VLD, starting at 3070 fps. You can bet they expand, and it was hole in below the eye and 3/4" hole out the back of the head, it didn't flower blossom the head like I thought it would. They penetrate 3-4" then fragment, well that is about the thickness of the head. I believe it was just starting to expand as it exited. I am still skeptical about the A-tips though.
20170815_150909.jpg

There was about a 3/4 inch exit hole under the ear on the opposite side. I'm pretty confident that the bullet expanded as I've made several head shots on dogs with m855 ball ammo and I know what pencil wounds look like. I guess I should have taken pics of that but this thread wasn't on my mind at the time. This was with a 135 in a short barrelled creedmoor at 2860. I'll see if the head is still in my pasture when I get home and see if I can get a picture of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts