A-tips on game?

I would never hunt with this bullet !!

That's what people said about Berger Bullets not that long ago. Plenty of people are happy limiting themselves to bullets that say "hunting" on the box. I'd rather not limit myself simply because of the marketing for a particular product. Maybe these will work great, maybe they won't. I guess it remains to be seen. I have a CIP length 300 Winmag and I think I'm going to try these on my late season cow hunt this year.

That's what people said about Berger Bullets not that long ago. Plenty of people are happy limiting themselves to bullets that say "hunting" on the box. I'd rather not limit myself simply because of the marketing for a particular product. Maybe these will work great, maybe they won't. I guess it remains to be seen. I have a CIP length 300 Winmag and I think I'm going to try these on my late season cow hunt this year.

So your going to test it on an Elk? No test to make sure it expands first in gell or paper? Regardless of the one test that shows it did not open? Hornady themselves say they do not think it will open. They have tested it.

did you see the shards or remains of the bullets shot and captured in the not so scientific test ? I'm not a bullet smith , nor , I hope a fool ! I'll leave that to those who choose to be so . So shoot up , we all pay for our own sins ! Ain't my way of doing things .

As I've got to see some cross sections of these bullets, it seems that each caliber has a different amount of cavity behind the tip. So it may depend on caliber and weight if they are going to open up.

Just can't wait to see some more test results.

idcwby

We've been wondering how terminal performance would be on the A-TIPs. After some preliminary testing, we finally put them to work on a nice NM pronghorn last week. Take a look at the results!

No pictures of the insides?

idcwby

Some pictures of how things looked on the inside would be nice, but that 135gr A-Tip did leave a pretty healthy sized exit hole, so I'd imagine there was a good bit of damage done to the insides.

That looks promising, I wonder why they went with the 135 vs the 153 in that cartridge? Seems like the 135 would be more suited for cartridges along the 6.5 creedmoor or 6.5x47-L line.

We ran the 135s because we simply haven't been able to get our hands on the 153s yet. Agreed that the 153s would be my first choice in the 6.5 PRC. Still, I think it's relatively indicative of how these bullets will perform on game, given this is anecdotal and we need a few more animals killed with them to start making some real conclusions.

Unfortunately no pics of internal damage. Trying to keep it a little PG rated for the platforms the video was posted on. Typical wound channel you'd see from a bonded type bullet, though. I suspect a closer range shot would have been much more devastating and possibly would have resulted in no exit wound (at least that's what I've often seen with the ELDMs)

We ran the 135s because we simply haven't been able to get our hands on the 153s yet. Agreed that the 153s would be my first choice in the 6.5 PRC. Still, I think it's relatively indicative of how these bullets will perform on game, given this is anecdotal and we need a few more animals killed with them to start making some real conclusions.

Unfortunately no pics of internal damage. Trying to keep it a little PG rated for the platforms the video was posted on. Typical wound channel you'd see from a bonded type bullet, though. I suspect a closer range shot would have been much more devastating and possibly would have resulted in no exit wound (at least that's what I've often seen with the ELDMs)
I was really interested in them for my 30.
I heard that they have a little thicker jacket and a somewhat hardened lead core? This makes me skeptical for long range use but Its nice to see some early data! thx/Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.