Horizontal group spread

I will add that I want a Belgium BAR Mark III or Mark IV in .243 or 25-06 ( not sure they chambered one) from the early 70s in the worst way!! Just because!

I'm gonna run some seating depth changes and see if I can get it to tighten up. I'll see if I can find the offset gauge that Hornady makes as well. Thanks for the input guys. I'll let y'all know how it shoots after some tweaking the seating depth.

Back when I was about 20 I went to gander mountain all the time to look at a BAR in 300wsm. I thought that was the pinnacle of rifles but could never afford it. Now I own all customs and still can't justify paying that much for a factory rifle. Maybe some day I'll have one just because!

I think CO_Guy is right on. My gunsmith (and former benchrest shooter) once told me that horizontal effects is quite often the result of some sort of shooter input and vertical effects is usually the load not being quite right.

There might be some shooter input but it's hard to think I got that much variance in shooting between the rifles I've been on the range with lately. But still rifle to rifle I just might not shoot this one as well as the others so I see where you're coming from. I did just measure the base to ogive of the handloads I made to book specs as per Speer vs the factory Winchester loads I bought....there's exactly .048" difference with the factory loads being longer. Speer is 2.173"
Winchester is 2.221" (base-ogive)

FlGunner, you have mentioned that you have torqued the fore-end but have you checked the torque on the butt stock? A couple of years ago I had a similar issue with a Sauer 202 bolt action that the groups opened up on from 1/2" to about 1 3/4". I found that the butt stock had loosened off and after tightening the groups tightened up again.

I didn't read all the post.
How heavy is the trigger? Or how is the trigger compared to your other rifles? Not just the weight, but creep, overtravel etc?

Just my thoughts; I replaced the barrel on my factory X-bolt 308 with a Bartelin 5R And corrected this. I think the barrel had / has issues from cold bore to warm condition. No matter what factory load I shot in it, it would walk right to left 2 - 2-1/2in. Let it cool, and would start all over again. I attached some photos for you to look at. The ones with the factory ammo only have scope elevation changes. Zero windage adjustments. The other photo where you see my mic, was same shooter (me), same factory load, same sand bags, same bench, same scope (Leica), etc... just after the barrel swap. Something to consider. Btw, I'm not bashing Browning... have personally owned and shot them all my life. This situation was unique so say the least. All shots at 100yds...

Attachments

• 90C9AE74-AF71-4695-884C-90D89FC15821.jpeg
    90C9AE74-AF71-4695-884C-90D89FC15821.jpeg
    415.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 976B9AF5-1166-4AD5-88D8-65473CF4A6AE.jpeg
    976B9AF5-1166-4AD5-88D8-65473CF4A6AE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 65
Trigger ain't to bad..smooth and no bad creep..I'd be guessing it's in the 4-5 lb range...my bolt guns are at 2 lbs so it's heavier for sure...but not terrible. I don't think it's to bad with the factory Winchester load, but like anything else, I want to get it as tight as possible. I did buy some more powder today H414...I believe it's a lil faster than the Varget and H4350 I tried previously. I'll also check the butt stock to make sure it's tightened. Again thanks, I hope to shoot here again tomorrow.

I watched a friend be tortured by a similar problem. He's an excellent bolt gun bench rest shooter, but when he bought a semi aut . He couldnt shoot worth a ****.

Turned out he would adjust his position/hold everytime he cycled the bolt.... but wouldnt on the semi auto. The recoil would change his position just enough and without resetting his hold it messed with the way the rifle recoiled on the next shot. Once he more closely mimicked his actions behind a bolt action, his groups were back to where they'd be expected.

I believe that was with a 308, so maybe a bit more recoil then a 243

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.