What causes horizontal spread

Guys I want to thank all of you for your help. Just got back from the range and boy I'm glad you all wasn't over there with me. I would be shunned from the herd..haha.
Took all the suggestions you posted, made a check list.
The rifle, scope, and bipods were all tight and good to go. Got to the range, found I wasn't.

Checked the rifle last night, removed the sling swivel stud, retighten the bipod.

With my first shot, my gun did a little penguin dance on the bipods. Had some muzzle rise with recoil. Found a flat, almost empty, sand bag to put the bipod feet on. Fix that problem.

I noticed that when I pulled the rifle into my shoulder, I was squeezing it some. Found a fix for that. Instead of laying my thumb across the top, I made it lay down on the side of my hand. Kind of like where your thumb, on your off hand ( that is left hand for right handed shooter), should be when shooting a 1911 pistol. That made it almost impossible for me to squeeze. Just lock my 3 fingers and pull straight back into my sholder.

The 200 yard bench at the range where I shoot is kind of tall, the set is short compared to the bench top. I found that It was causing me to sit with my lower back overly straight and my sholder rolled back. Like I was stretching to get into a good shooting position. I found 2 more sand bags, put them under my butt. Now I could relaxe my lower back, roll my sholder forward. It was much more comfortable now, almost felt natural. Noticed my chest was up against the bottom/side of the stock, in that uncomfortable position.

I really picked my shooting form apart this evening. THANKS EVERYONE!!
YOU GUYS REALLY KNOW YOUR STUFF.

OH...I all most forgot. With all the picking I was doing, I kinda lost interest in what setting depth tighten my groups up. I was trying to repeat everything the same after I figured out what I was doing wrong.
I very happy to say, you guys fixed me. My best group was the 0.030 off the lands.
My vertical opened up alittle, ( from around 0.350 to about 0.50) my horizontal closed alot. ( from 1.00 to around .250)

THANK AGAIN GUYS, COULDN'T HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT!!!

Just fun'n but...

Its about now when I've found my self having to replace the barrel.:) Twice :roll eyes:

I've got to the point where your original 1" or so horizontal is plenty good enough for harvesting game in Idaho. And some times that's a long ways.

Just say'n.

It sure is fun isn't it? When you get'r solved....

Im hopeing to get this season in with the barrel that came on it. It's getting sent off for a reciver job and a new barrel after seasons over. I liked the way it shoots so much, I bought it's little brother ( 25-06- my favorite cal ) a week or so ago. Now I have a a set of twins...haha.

Best I remember I've put, 200-208gr a-maxs...100- 210 bergers...100-230 bergers...almost 100- 200gr accubonds, down the barrel.
So, yea it's getting close.

you or the wind

most likely you are changing something about the way you are holding the the gun.

1" horizontal spread at 200 yrds? So you are shoot 1" groups at 200 yrds? That sounds good to me.

I agree....

ANY spread is usually do to ES/SD, wind, and Spin drift if you are doing all the other things correct such as holding the gun correctly etc....

Good luck

I'm guessing it was a combination between , me squeeze in the grip, my chest touching the butt, and leaning into the rifle to much. After I fix all that, the gun recoiled straight back, not back with muzzle rise.
THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP.

This is kinda off topic and didn't see the point of starting another thread.

Does anyone know when nosler is going to make a run of 25 cal 110 accubonds. I've looked high and low and everyone is out. I liked the AB in this 300 rum and wanted to try them in 25-06

Barrelnut,
I have the UTG tactical bipods. Yea they are just the little ol cheap ones. Had a set of Harris bipods, with the cant and swivel. I soon found out that the recoil of a 300rum plays havick on any unnecessary moveable parts.

Haven't noticed the muzzle jumping left or right. I will pay attention to that next time. Thanks
When doing a ladder test, the 94, 94.5, 95 had the same vertical (holes touching) just left of target about 1"
93gr was same vertical as 94-95 but to the right of target about 2"
93.5 was way high about 2"
When I loaded 94.5, 94.7, 95 ( 5 of each)...94.7 gave me the best vertical group
All groups are now to the right of target
Shot 3-5 shot groups with the 94.7
All 3 groups was great vertical ( .347-.352)
The horizonal groups are in little mini 2-3 shot groups .750- 1.00 apart
But they are all to the right of target, none to the left
So it's possible the gun jumps to the right for some reason.

Cowboy,
I've done the dry fire trick your talking about. That's how I found that this monster had eaten ( not 1 but 2) scopes. I now have a sightron siii 8-32 on it and so far it's done really well. I went through a lot of bullets, powders, and primers trying to get this gun to shot when it was the scopes the whole time.
I'm going to remove the stud and give it a try. Thanks guys
I'm sorry for being a pain in the rump, I was just at the end of my rope with this issue.
Now I understand what horizontal spread you are talking about.
This is normal, as the barrel oscillates with different charge weights, the POI will change, it can change in a 360º arc, so any direction from POA is possible.
I thought you meant with a single powder charge.
Ladder tests are to determine the charge weights that group together, not where they print from POA, as the POA is not what you're testing for.
When shooting groups, you do not worry about POA to POI differences, only that you are consistently aiming at the same point and how tight the groups are.
I have always found a front rest with sand bags to be more forgiving than a bi-pod, sometimes recoil bounce will deflect POI, which is not always noticed until a switch to another rest set up is done with the same parameters.
Even cheek weld differences can cause POI deflections.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.