Hodgdon is getting on my last nerve

This is a well-known business tactic of all businesses. Look at the price of oil. When the US started producing massive amount of oil we actually started exporting it in oil prices went way down. Look at the debeers but diamond company. They monopolize all the diamonds so they can control the price. Of course a gun powder manufacturer who has a long running list of customers could easily invest plenty and make plenty of gun powder. But then the price would have to go down. I don't think they don't watch other gunpowder manufacturers as well and try to stay close to their prices. It's supply and demand economics

I'm going to vent. I'm probably gonna get kicked off the forum, but I think I'm speaking for most of us when I ask if the people running Hodgdon have their heads up their --- or something. Retumbo, H4350, H1000, Varget, are all STAPLES of the Hodgdon brand, and it's like trying to find pixie dust. Do they want to lose customers? Why is it that a company who makes gunpowder, and has been doing so forever, can't keep up with demand? Are they not investing enough of their profits into the company and their equipment? You would think that the demand for their products would be incentive for them to make more of it.
Am I missing something here? For all of the powder companies out there, now is a great time for them to get their engineers and marketing teams in order and produce powders that are temp stable with comparable burn rates. When I find something that will replace my Hodgdon powders, I'm jumping ship. Their management appears to be about as in touch with their customers as Remington's marketing.
All of Hodgan extreme powders are made here in AUSTRALIA and there is a shortage here too. The main reason I believe is there was an expolsion at the plant. A new plant has been built but as yet has not started producing powders. Once up and running the new plant will be producing more powder than the old plant coul ever produce

1.jpeg

That is one reason I live in WY. If it has to do with shooting, they stay as well stocked as possible. But it is election year.
This thread chased me down to my regular source just to see what was going on. He had about everything in stock except what I really wanted . Re-26. I bought some H-1000 to not leave empty-handed.

Quite simply, reloaders are last on the list for getting powder because the military gets first dibs on the powders and the use a crap ton. So, reloaders get the scraps basically.

OP- Chill and keep an eye out for what you need. Personally, I have not noticed a power shortage like we saw about 8 years ago. It was power, then primers. That was during the Obama reign and the Syrian revolution. The govt bought over 1 billion rounds at that time.

Since then, in Texas and out in Nevada in person, or via mail order from Powder Valley, Grafs, and others I've had no problem finding all of the powders listed. Shipping fees with hazmat fee are extra costs, but whatever at least they have it. I have a couple of lbs of Retumbo from 2012 that I've never even gotten around to trying. And some Enduron. I just keep an eye out whenever I got to a sporting goods or gun shop. H4350 was hard to get for a while when the 6.5 CM was relatively new in general acceptance and that crowd thought it was the only thing that works in a 6.5 CM.

I'm going to vent. I'm probably gonna get kicked off the forum, but I think I'm speaking for most of us when I ask if the people running Hodgdon have their heads up their --- or something. Retumbo, H4350, H1000, Varget, are all STAPLES of the Hodgdon brand, and it's like trying to find pixie dust. Do they want to lose customers? Why is it that a company who makes gunpowder, and has been doing so forever, can't keep up with demand? Are they not investing enough of their profits into the company and their equipment? You would think that the demand for their products would be incentive for them to make more of it.
Am I missing something here? For all of the powder companies out there, now is a great time for them to get their engineers and marketing teams in order and produce powders that are temp stable with comparable burn rates. When I find something that will replace my Hodgdon powders, I'm jumping ship. Their management appears to be about as in touch with their customers as Remington's marketing.
I spoke with a very reliable connection, he said they are trying to fill Military contracts and should really improve by mid 2020, hope this helps?

Well, so what you're missing is the fact that Hodgdon doesn't actually make any powders, they import them from offshore. They fill out the paperwork for X amount of a particular powder, and that's what gets imported. If someone writes a glowing article on the powder, there's a run on it, and they're done for 3-4 months.. they'll bump up quantities next time they submit, but in the meantime, you got nothing.

Well, so what you're missing is the fact that Hodgdon doesn't actually make any powders, they import them from offshore. They fill out the paperwork for X amount of a particular powder, and that's what gets imported. If someone writes a glowing article on the powder, there's a run on it, and they're done for 3-4 months.. they'll bump up quantities next time they submit, but in the meantime, you got nothing.
That's pretty much it in a nutshell.
But I am sure you guys have that many stockists that someone somewhere will have what your looking for but you might have to travel to get it.
I don't know about you guys but gun shops here cannot ship powder or loaded ammo so basically you need to locate it & pick it up!

l had an occasion to shoot prairie dogs in Wyoming maybe 10-12 yrs back. After flying into Denver l picked up my gear and rental, then headed North. Anticipating a great 3 days of shooting l stopped at a WallyWord in Laramie Wyo to get a little more 223 ammo. Right there in front of my eyes in WalMart was reloading supplies.. Brass, boolits, primers, powder TOO. There was even a young guy tending that section who was quite knowledgeable… Yes, l would say Wyoming takes its shooting pretty seriously!!

This. Re26 was easily available, then in a relatively short period of time we all got stupid and told everyone else how awesome it was. Now it's nowhere to be found. That's supply and demand, there was a hockey-stick in demand not planned for.

Next time I find a miracle powder I'm going to guard it like my favorite elk honey hole.... ;)

No offense ment to the OP.

Whenever someone post something about XYZ powder; other people go out an buy huge quantities of said powder. Sort of a self fulling prophecy.

These powders are produced in Australia, considering the hundreds (or more) homes that were lost and tens of thousands of acres burned, the manufacturing staffing has had to be affected.

As stated above - try something else to hold you over.

Good Luck

Jerry
Right on there. Few people in the States seem to realise that "Hodgdon's powder business was and is a powder distribution business, not a powder manufacturing business. So the powders sold under the Hodgdon brand name are not made by Hodgdon and never have been." [https://revivaler.com/hodgdon-powder-adi-australian-connection/].

As Jerry points out, the powders you're looking for are made proudly in Australia by ADI (Australian Defence Industries) However, the production facilities in Victoria and NSW are unlikely to have been affected by the recent fires. which were far away along the east coast. I have no connection to ADI, but I'm sure that they are well aware of the pent-up demand for their products. No doubt they would be better placed to explain the supply situation if you dropped them a line. Look them up at http://www.adi-powders.com.au/.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts