Hodgdon is getting on my last nerve

Well i live a couple of hours drive from the ADI factory ( now called Thales i think ) here in Australia & i'm sure they were not directly effected by the recent bush fires here recently.
As mentioned many times here already Military contracts & shipping hurdles have most likely caused you guys some pain.
We on the other hand struggle to get anything shooting related out of your country because of your ITAR laws.
I feel for you guys. Except John Porter. Lol. We can get together a care package for you?
Not being funny .

Ill bet they have an operations and distribution team that refuse to believe the marketing teams forecast for sales. The are the SALES PREVENTION TEAM. As a former product manager in a very large medical device company, I have had to deal with these people.

Well, they lost me. I've been searching for Retumbo & H1000 for about a year now in AZ. Our Sportsman's Warehouse and Cabelas/Bass Pro haven't seen any in the last 12 months. I get the temporary flux of supply and demand, but not being able to get your product to the market in over a year? I've switched over to Alliant. At least I can find some of their powders every now and then. Given the fact that Alliant s now harder to find suggests that more than a few shooters have switched over. The question is: once Hodgdon corrects the problem, will they be able to earn these customers back.
According to the forum economist Tex_Hunter, I guess they won't care if they earn a few customers back.
Even though I obviously have unreal expectations and general ignorance of economics, I understand the marketing/profit margin idea, I understand the 100% out = 100% sold idea, so I'm not totally ignorant on it. And his comparison to a guy making one guitar a year is beyond ridiculous.

I'm just saying that companies that have STAPLE products like Hodgdon's H4350, Retumbo, Varget, H1000 should be better prepared for productivity increases for demand. It's not like they're a new company, this is a livelihood to them and not a hobby. Hodgdon has been selling these products for decades, and to assume that they could not see a future increase in demand for some of their products doesn't really say much for their management imo. Especially after seeing the marketing that Hornady put into the 6.5 Creedmoor, and seeing that cartridge take off the way it has for the past 5+ years, you'd think the company that sells what many believe to be one of the best powders for it, would have means of product availability in line, no matter who is making it or where it is being made. I mean, nobody has problems finding bullets do they? Bullet manufacturers seem to have a pretty good idea on what is going on in the markets and they seem to be staying on top of things. People aren't having problems obtaining Lapua bullets full of lead. I know when Berger moved their shop a few years ago, their stuff was hard to find, but they where back up and running pretty quick and had their products out on shelves again. I think bullet manufacturers have military contracts too.

Whatever I guess. It is what it is. If their production back ordering is due to things like the fires in Australia, then really, that's beyond anybody's control and completely understandable. I guess I'll just find something else that works and stock up like everybody else. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:
D L D....l got on the net and found EVERY HODGDON powder you listed IN STOCK... Not all in the same place.
Two here in Augusta,Ga. 0ne in Columbia SC.. Like AT&T used to say about letting your fingers do the walking thru the yellow pages, works on the puter TOO;-);)

OP,
You might want to review your New York Laws before stating this is a manufacturer's issue. "No New York mercantile can have over 100 lbs of smokeless powder on hand and any store over 10,000 sqft is prohibited from selling smokeless powder." See Section (m) of the attached document. I'm surprised that any store in NY work jump through these hoops to sell smokeless powder. https://labor.ny.gov/formsdocs/wp/cr39.pdf

I usually buy my stuff, including powders local when I can. New York is a terrible state for people who love guns and shooting. Our regulations here are getting really bad. AR platform rifles are near illegal hear anymore, unless you're a police/peace officer.

D L D....l got on the net and found EVERY HODGDON powder you listed IN STOCK... Not all in the same place.
Two here in Augusta,Ga. 0ne in Columbia SC.. Like AT&T used to say about letting your fingers do the walking thru the yellow pages, works on the puter TOO;-);)

Your Google Fu works well my friend.

That has worked for me lately also. I just bought the only pound of Win. Staball 6.5 at local place. I was just going to ask if anybody has tried yet and what it compares to. Been long time since I've used any Win. ball powders like 760 and 748. I think old 785 ?? Also. Still have W296 but use H110 instead for my big bore pistols
Supposed to be comparable to H4350, Reloder 17 burn rates. Pretty good amount of initial load data for it here..

George Gardner of GA Precision has been pimping it lately.

Life is too precious to worry about the stuff I do not have. Instead ...

Cheers!.jpg

Cheers! 😇 😇 😇

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.