My buddy is getting better every time we go shooting..

The best way to hunt them is to pick your herd/buck scout their routes they normally take, and bed them down.

In the predawn you can move in to be in a good shooting position when they wake up.

Or you can be waiting for them in their bedding area when they come in, in the evening.

Thanks for the intell Wildrose. I have heard this before from some other people.

If I'm not mistaken, looks like your buddy has a T-shirt with the Deal's Gap dragon on it. I rode that myself about 10yrs ago w/ my wife on our honeymoon. Nice road. Looks like you have some pretty potent firepower from low dollar rifles. Good job! I'm a Savage man myself. Would like to do a Stevens build too.

Tank

You are the only one so far that has suggested that I would not be able to get closer than 600/700yds for a shot on a speed goat.

I have seen two B&Cs I could not get within 1000 yards of. Lot of difference between hunting wild antelope on public land versus shooting them like herefords on private land.

This 16+ buck was taken at 600 yards

Phils buck @ 600 yds video by bufflerbob - Photobucket

The kids wanted respectable sized heads so I worked to find them one each and being as they had sufficient skills to shoot at distances up to 1000 yards the 500 and 600 yards shots were easy for them.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f85/practice-teamwork-34515/

Practice shooting at the longer ranges makes the shorter ranges easy.

Buffalo,

Im not looking to get in the record books. Just shoot a decent buck and have fun while I'm doing it. Im going out there with two other friends. Me and one other are going to doing our first western big game hunt this year. We are going for the experience and the fun. We are going to WY unit 29. Thats an almost garanteed draw with NO points. That should tell you something rite there. And as of rite now, we have no private land set up to hunt. All public land for us. Im not going to settle for a spike, but from everything that I am being told, with us going out in the second week of the season, we should all be able to shoot some good bucks at 400yds and under. While the goats may be a little more skittish the second week, I am being told that there are alot less hunters out there. Nice goats in the pics BTW. When I save enough points and get some speed goat hunting experience under my belt, I am sure I will one day focus on a NICE buck when I get a more premier area to hunt.

Liltank,

If I'm not mistaken, looks like your buddy has a T-shirt with the Deal's Gap dragon on it.

You are correct. He has been there and done that. He is a bike nut for sure.

With you being a Savage fan (I am too), I would highly recommend the Stevens for a custom build. I have seen some guys on the forums build some incredible rifles with the Stevens.

Wild Rose

Know the game laws where you are heading. In some states it's illegal to set up on water holes.

Where it isn't, that's a great place to be mid day as well.

If I'm not mistaken WY allows you to set up on watering holes and we are definately going to use this as an option if our stalking skills fail miserably, lol. Again, thanks for the intell.

I have seen two B&Cs I could not get within 1000 yards of. Lot of difference between hunting wild antelope on public land versus shooting them like herefords on private land.

This 16+ buck was taken at 600 yards

Phils buck @ 600 yds video by bufflerbob - Photobucket

The kids wanted respectable sized heads so I worked to find them one each and being as they had sufficient skills to shoot at distances up to 1000 yards the 500 and 600 yards shots were easy for them.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f85/practice-teamwork-34515/

Practice shooting at the longer ranges makes the shorter ranges easy.
Bob, in the west where Antelope are found there's very little private land.

Over half the states of NM and CO are public/gov't land. 2/3 of Idaho, and about 40% of MT are public land as well.

Wyoming is 48% public land as well.

I haven't seen any tame antelope or herds of them like herefords, angus, charoloais, or any other breed of cattle in any of them, anywhere they have any hunting pressure.

Yes, being well enough gunned and capable of thousand yard shots helps. It certainly though is not essential, as again, most Pronghorn are taken at under 200 yds.

This one in fact was taken with a bow.

montana_antelope.jpg

Raw Pope and Young score was 86.

Between my dad, brother, and myself we've taken six over 16" and I'm the only one of the three that has ever made a shot of any kind at over 300yds.

All of ours were killed on public land as well.

Buffalo,

Im not looking to get in the record books. Just shoot a decent buck and have fun while I'm doing it. Im going out there with two other friends. Me and one other are going to doing our first western big game hunt this year. We are going for the experience and the fun. We are going to WY unit 29. Thats an almost garanteed draw with NO points. That should tell you something rite there. And as of rite now, we have no private land set up to hunt. All public land for us. Im not going to settle for a spike, but from everything that I am being told, with us going out in the second week of the season, we should all be able to shoot some good bucks at 400yds and under. While the goats may be a little more skittish the second week, I am being told that there are alot less hunters out there. Nice goats in the pics BTW. When I save enough points and get some speed goat hunting experience under my belt, I am sure I will one day focus on a NICE buck when I get a more premier area to hunt.

Liltank,

You are correct. He has been there and done that. He is a bike nut for sure.

With you being a Savage fan (I am too), I would highly recommend the Stevens for a custom build. I have seen some guys on the forums build some incredible rifles with the Stevens.

Wild Rose

If I'm not mistaken WY allows you to set up on watering holes and we are definately going to use this as an option if our stalking skills fail miserably, lol. Again, thanks for the intell.
One thing I forgot to mention is to have the right camouflage for where you are going, it's really essential.

Pronghorn have some of the best eyes in the world and are looking at you with essentially a 12-16x scope every time they look up.

Now here's a fun one.... if a herd is loping through and you haven't spooked them and want to get them to stop long enough to get a shot have a bike flag with you so one of you can wave it and whistle. Also works to get the to look up when they are grazing so as to give you a clean chest shot if they are straight in line with you and you're running out of light.

They spook easily, but they are also and extremely curious animal.

I haven't seen any tame antelope or herds of them like herefords, angus, charoloais, or any other breed of cattle in any of them, anywhere they have any hunting pressure.

The last time I hunted private land I wound up shooting a doe on a dead run at 225 yards off the hood of the truck. Hit her square in the chest She was about 450 yards when I got the rifle out but her and her friend came running to the truck to see what was happening.

Im not looking to get in the record books. Just shoot a decent buck and have fun while I'm doing it. Im going out there with two other friends. Me and one other are going to doing our first western big game hunt this year. We are going for the experience and the fun. We are going to WY unit 29. Thats an almost garanteed draw with NO points. That should tell you something rite there. And as of rite now, we have no private land set up to hunt.

A lot of ranchers will allow you to shoot does for free if you spend some time driving around and being polite when you ask. Then the next year they may let you shoot anything you want. That arrangement makes it nice in a guaranteed draw area. I usually camp at a reservoir outside Casper and there is a RVN vet who comes from Cal. each year and camps there also and he hunts private land for free just by going around and asking. Of course it helps if you are a people kind of person.

I don't bother with private land being as I have a place where I can shoot up to 2500 yards and there are always plenty of antelope although only one or two would have a decent set of horns. The shot in this video is from a place where we have killed four or five antelope at over 900 yards. I no longer care about horn size as long as the shot itself is long and interesting.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z2XjQt_9_A&feature=player_profilepage]‪Smokinfur‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Yes you have a point. Riding around in the Rancher's feed wagon will get the stupid does to come in for some cake/cubes.

Haven't seen the same of any mature bucks though where there is any hunting pressure.

You will be fine. Practice practice practice. If your dead nuts out to 400 or maybe 500 and use the terrain to your advantage, sometimes that means belly crawling for a long ways. Your going to be ready. Just about everybody I know that hunts speed goats every year, shots are 400 and in.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.