Hit indicators for LR steel

I saw the review on the Caldwell site where a guy 3D-printed a piece that held two small pieces of plastic mirror so that the Flash Bang itself was completely protected behind the steel plate. I can't find anyone who makes such a thing, but I'd certainly buy them if the price was right, even if the Caldwell unit is as durable as it seems to be!

We received our "Flash Indicators" on Friday. Just need to set them up on some steel. They seem real Green BRIGHT. I like the Velcro attachment and the LED lights are only exposed about 3/8" on the side of the Steel Target. Can't look at them in the house or they will temporally blind you and they "Set off" with a tap of the hand.
Our range has some of the expensive "White light" indicators, but have not used them in a few years.

Attachments

• Cadwell.jpg
    Cadwell.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 26
We received our "Flash Indicators" on Friday. Just need to set them up on some steel. They seem real Green BRIGHT. I like the Velcro attachment and the LED lights are only exposed about 3/8" on the side of the Steel Target. Can't look at them in the house or they will temporally blind you and they "Set off" with a tap of the hand.
Our range has some of the expensive "White light" indicators, but have not used them in a few years.
I got mine as well...I wish someone would 3D print some extensions using plastic mirrors. I'd definitely be in to purchase some. On the other hand, at <$30 each, it's not the end of the world if they get shot either, especially if they continue to work like the video that was linked earlier in the thread!

Anyone that has these Flash Indicators. Can you leave them "ON" or do you have to turn them off after shooting? I know that they say they are good for 30,000 impacts with good batteries. I would not want to go down range every time when shooting to turn on & off.

I saw the review on the Caldwell site where a guy 3D-printed a piece that held two small pieces of plastic mirror so that the Flash Bang itself was completely protected behind the steel plate. I can't find anyone who makes such a thing, but I'd certainly buy them if the price was right, even if the Caldwell unit is as durable as it seems to be!
What would be an acceptable price? You also have to sticker a magnet or add velcro to the front of the flash bang since it must be mounted backwards.

The Caldwell ones expose the electronics. You will eventually shoot them and break the indicator. The Magnetospeed version keeps all the electronics behind the target and exposes a soft fiber optic that can be shot through many times and replaced when needed. With 22lr a piece of clear polycarbonate provides enough protection for the Caldwell unit. That's likely inadequate for centerfire.

What would be an acceptable price? You also have to sticker a magnet or add velcro to the front of the flash bang since it must be mounted backwards.
Your design is exactly like the one I was referring to. It changes the direction of the light by 180 degrees so the unit would have to be mounted backwards which is not a big deal. As far as pricing, based on the $30 price of the Flash Bang I'd say somewhere in the $10-15 range, but I'm not sure if it's practical to produce them at too low a price point. My buddy just got a high-end 3D printer and I was just about to start designing my own version, but if yours is priced right I would save the work of reinventing the wheel. Here's the one from the Caldwell comments:

1708100469664.png

Your design is exactly like the one I was referring to. It changes the direction of the light by 180 degrees so the unit would have to be mounted backwards which is not a big deal. As far as pricing, based on the $30 price of the Flash Bang I'd say somewhere in the $10-15 range, but I'm not sure if it's practical to produce them at too low a price point. My buddy just got a high-end 3D printer and I was just about to start designing my own version, but if yours is priced right I would save the work of reinventing the wheel. Here's the one from the Caldwell comments:

View attachment 544263
$10 to $15 is fine, I am waiting on the plastic mirror to confirm its OK. Also I am trying these adhesive magnets. I also may beed to add a lip to the build to go over the plate edge if the whole device shifts on impact

cad.png
Screenshot at Feb 16 11-26-39.png
Screenshot at Feb 16 11-26-21.png

$10 to $15 is fine, I am waiting on the plastic mirror to confirm its OK. Also I am trying these adhesive magnets. I also may beed to add a lip to the build to go over the plate edge if the whole device shifts on impact

View attachment 544269View attachment 544270View attachment 544271
That was my concern with magnets as well, shifting after impact. Velcro isn't an ideal solution either though. I guess it will come down to how strong the magnet is. Let me know when you're ready to produce some...I'm definitely interested!

@biednick The Magnetospeed version is also $200 where the Caldwell is only $30 list. The 3d printed version of the reflector just slides on and can be replaced if broken. Pics are of my version (waiting for the plastic mirror strips to come in from Amazon)View attachment 544251View attachment 544252
That's a valid point, and something that's important to consider. Depending on your use case a failure might not be a big deal, and you may be willing to treat them as disposable. There's other instances where mistaking a hit for a miss matters, and using something that could be damaged isn't a great choice.

I do like the reflectors. They'll at least keep the device from getting destroyed, though I probably wouldn't use them at a match since hitting the reflector would still take the flasher out of commission. I'll probably make some for the Caldwells I use at home.

That's a valid point, and something that's important to consider. Depending on your use case a failure might not be a big deal, and you may be willing to treat them as disposable. There's other instances where mistaking a hit for a miss matters, and using something that could be damaged isn't a great choice.

I do like the reflectors. They'll at least keep the device from getting destroyed, though I probably wouldn't use them at a match since hitting the reflector would still take the flasher out of commission. I'll probably make some for the Caldwells I use at home.
Just print some extras / if one gets hit during a match just slide on a new one

Recent Posts