Bullet..best option for lr steel/killing punch.

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Dust270WSM, Mar 20, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Dust270WSM

Dust270WSM Well-Known Member

I have a 7mmSTW I use to hunt deer, elk and shoot steel with. In yalls opinion what bullet is the best...i know there's not a #1 just looking for what's your #1 in your opinion. GOOD and BAD bullets...heard bad things about hornadly ELD-Xs but my rifle loves them...BUT I haven't shot anything yet so not sure how they kill??? So may go to Nosler instead but haven't found a powder combo it likes with those yet. Or can go the Berger way...
    Thanks for any help..

2. Jordanv1

Jordanv1 Well-Known Member

Depending on your rifle specs either the 180/195 Berger also look into hammer bullets, haven’t used them personally but I’m going to order some have heard great things.

Lahunter76 likes this.
  3. dfanonymous

dfanonymous Well-Known Member

My eldx work fine. Or the eldms. Depends on what we are talking about what we are killing here though...

4. Jordanv1

Jordanv1 Well-Known Member

I like the ELD X also have kills out to 600 with them but not much blood and a lot of copper fouling. All animals have been found with shots using the ELD X but hasn’t been any blood. Found one bullet expanded on the skin of a whitetail mushroomed great but core was missing. Can’t complain because I haven’t lost an animal as shot placement is key but Berger’s have been DRT or left more of a blood trail in my personal experience. 6.5-284, 7RM and 28 Nosler is what I’ve shot animals with using the ELDX

dfanonymous likes this.
  5. dfanonymous

dfanonymous Well-Known Member

then we care about different things and that’s ok. I don’t care a whole lot about blood trails as much with how I hunt. They usually don’t go far if anywhere at all, and I often try to get up on a higher perch.

I’ve never shot anything really that close up but I heard of people having issues with it being to close not expanding. Out in the 400 to 700 and a few beyond, the bullet never had a problem, however I never found or looked to hard for the bullets. I’m basing off the exit wound.

I don’t mind fouling either. I leave my barrel fouled because it’s easier for me to keep my dope up.