High Velocity Throat Erosion

A couple of things come to mind. Anybody that thinks a 6.5 is to small for a deer rifle think again. I have taken down over 50 deer with a 25/06 in my years, with mostly one shot kills out to 500yds.
Now I never had a bore scope until now. I haven't use it yet and I have lots of rifles to look it. 🤣
Back to barrel erosion: Been thinking about this. Now I generally shoot a belted mag for my rifles now. I load in the 75 grain area of powder. About 5grs over max load with the type of powder I use. The kicker is I use Fed 210 primers. I don't use Mag Primers. Now the LR Primers aren't as hot as the LRM Primers. This is where I maybe wrong. I feel that my powder charge is burning going down the barrel, and not at the start of thing. So the heat isn't as great to start with. Either I am doing something good or bad, by not burning my powders all at once or, I am burning my barrels farther down the barrel, I don't know. My powders are petty much the same burning rate too. My velocity are fairly close to the same in each rifle. So I maybe all wet too.

You're not doing anything wrong by not using magnum primers. The only case where I've seen non magnum primers have a failure (and by that I mean slight hangfire) is with compressed loads of slow burning ball powder in winter in Saskatchewan (so actually quite cold). Besides that no problem but of course if you change any part of a load including the primer you should back off and start working up again…or so they say 😁….

An interesting bit of history: the federal 215 was the first "magnum" primer. They developed it in conjunction with the release of weatherbys massive .378 magnum, a very big case using slowish powders warranted a bigger spark. Before the late 50s there were no "magnum" or "standard" primers, just primers! That means that the .375, 300, .244 h and h, 300, 257, 270 wby, 416 rigby, and even the colossal 505 Gibbs worked just fine with ordinary primers.

You're not doing anything wrong by not using magnum primers. The only case where I've seen non magnum primers have a failure (and by that I mean slight hangfire) is with compressed loads of slow burning ball powder in winter in Saskatchewan (so actually quite cold). Besides that no problem but of course if you change any part of a load including the primer you should back off and start working up again…or so they say 😁….

An interesting bit of history: the federal 215 was the first "magnum" primer. They developed it in conjunction with the release of weatherbys massive .378 magnum, a very big case using slowish powders warranted a bigger spark. Before the late 50s there were no "magnum" or "standard" primers, just primers! That means that the .375, 300, .244 h and h, 300, 257, 270 wby, 416 rigby, and even the colossal 505 Gibbs worked just fine with ordinary primers.
I understand hunting in very cold weather. I generally use H4350SC powder in my reloading, which the temp doesn't cause much of a problem either way. Hunted in -20 to 110+ weather with the same load. I also figure is, if loading powders that are getting into the 80Gr+ area, that Mag primer probable should be used. I generally use a long drop tube in my loading of those cases that are 70+ grains too. What I have seen here the use of M Primers in 40gr loads going toward 70gr. I guess to each there own. What I see the flame would be hotter with the M.P's. At lease that my thinking for now. I watching an learning. I have had a few dud's in reloading in may life, but not many.

Its interesting what we experience in time as shooters and reloaders.

Got my first click boom hang fire in the 375 VM2 with 146 grains of US861 and federal large rifle magnum primers. It gets your attention. The 375 VM2 was a 585 African necked down to a 375. *Tested H50BMG, RL50 and US869 in this rifle

Worst for throat erosion I experienced was a 375 pushing a 400 grain bullet at 3390 fps , 45 rounds equaled 108 thou of throat erosion. Used 193.5 grains of US869 in a case that was a 50 cal shortened up some. Even though a throat eroder it did get us in and through the top ten in the KO2M finale. Kinda like a dragster changing tires and barrels in a hot rod rifle or car.
*Just wanted to add we went from H50BMG to the US869 to slow down the effects of the throat eroding, the H50BMG was worse on a different barrel prior.

We opened up the bore to a 416 and now very minimal throat erosion pushing the 550 gr. at 3060 fps - used 192.5 grains of 20N29 same 50 cal case that was shortened up with the necks expanded back out to a 416 versus 375. Very happy with 416 as far as barrel life and accuracy - we could push it faster in 2020 we were running the 550s at 3120 with excellent brass primer pocket life but in 2021 we decided to run with a great accuracy node that was in the 3060 range just because we feel speed just is not as big of a deal while managing all of our resources yet still be a threat in the ELR world.

Cheers
JH

Last edited: