High-end scope for ultralight hunting rifle?

But you don't share your experience. You make blanket statements about how they all suck...how is that helpful?

I actually have, other times in other threads. Ok, how's this? Started to see the failures on VX3's in the mid 90's when i started hunting with my uncle and his buddies. They all ran the VX3's and all i ever heard about was how great the warranty was. At least one of these scopes failed every season usually in dramatic fashion. Most of the time it resulted in a missed elk, in some cases a wounded animal that was never recovered. The last year i hunted with them i needed to borrow one of the 300 Weatherbys to fill my tag. I personally missed a short range bull with this set up. We checked zero the following day to find zero has been lost by more than 12" at 100 yards. Like i said, at least 1 failure every season, but hey...great warranty! Invoices always showed repairs performed.

In the years since, I've had the opportunity to perform rifle set up and load development on many rifles. The majority had Leupold VX series scopes on them. I have experienced a legit 80% failure rate on those particular scopes. Problems were most commonly failure to maintain zero and erector shift... often in a big way when that single erector spring breaks. I've had parallax failures on a couple of those. One was a VX6, it was on a braked 7 rem mag. It failed literally after the first shot post scope mounting. I came back from recoil to see complete fuzz. Nothing i could do with the paralax adjustment would clear up the image. Customer was not impressed. I've seen several that had the black fuzzies floating around in the image.

In almost every case Leupold customer service has denied finding a problem in their testing. But the invoices ALWAYS show a record of replacement parts and repair procedures performed. AND...the rifles have always regained accuracy after I get them back. The proof is right there, in the pudding as they say. Hmmm. I don't have the patience for their general arrogant attitudes any longer, often insulting the scope owners questioning their ability to even shoot their firearm accurately.

Because of this long running track record, i no longer perform load development for a customer who has any variation of the VX scope on it. It has simply cost me too much time and money from a business standpoint. I've heard good things about the Mark5's and wouldn't hesitate to work with those or better.

This is what happens when social distancing brings on cabin fever! I've got money coming from sale of truck - no stimulus checks for me. Part of the truck cash will go for new scope for my 6 lb. 7mm. Need to be able to ping targets to beyond 1200-1400 yards and have enough elevation to get there with a 20 degree rail if needed.

While I thought the choice might be a Leopold HD5 3-18, I've got mixed feelings about the 35mm tube. I'm not a big fan of the illuminated reticle choice for their mil model either (TMR). That appears to be the best glass in a light package from Lup.

Second consideration was a NF NX8 but again, I've got one shot to do this right, pun intended, and want the highest quality glass I can buy. I've heard mixed reviews on the NX8 glass and light transmission capabilities.

I would probably get a ZComp if it wasn't such a tank... and may still do that but need to look through one. Clarity and low light performance found in the top tear glass are important to me though... so that factors into what i'll end up buying... I've considered Minox, Kahles, S&B, Zeiss, and Swaro in the same lineup... even a Valdada IOR, a new one they just came up with, the TX Raider Compact (but then 2 lbs too, and back to 35mm tube.)

The IOR MP8 is the only FFP reticle I've had any time behind and was usable at its lowest power...so that's another decision factor with this new scope, given most are FFP will it be usable for short range, dark timber or low light conditions. Some FFPs I've looked through would be near invisible without illumination - so unless you can see it like an MP8 at low magnification. I'll have to have that. I'm using a range finder so most of the time, FFP isn't a requirement but most of the top end glass seems to comes in FFP...

I'm sure there are plenty of varying opinions out there, but what would you do if faced with a single opportunity to buy one high end scope for your lightweight hunting rifle. I've got a budget that can do $3500 but I'm not apposed to applying some $ to deer/elk tags if I find the right scope. Ultimate resolution, repeat-ability, low light performance, elevation, in a mil scope that can reach out and get the job done with the above criteria. Thoughts? Other options?
I just put the Leupold MD 5HD 7x35x56 on my new 300 WM (MRAD) and love it. Awesome glass and clarity even in very low light. The 35mm tube was a bummer. Hard to find good mounts/rings for it so I went with the Leupold rings (the bummer part is that I already have several 30 and 34mm mounts/rings laying around that I couldn't use). I also considered the Nightforce and Vortex (I already own several of each) but ultimately I choose the Leupold. Good luck!

Your MIL requirement takes out some good options like the VX6HD line, which I think is phenomenal. I think the glass is better than the march and it comes with alumina flip caps which I am pretty sure is included in the listed weight of the scope since they come installed. So it weighs the same as the march. I have the 4-24x52 on a carbon fiber PRC and it has been a sweet set up. Plus made in the USA if that matters to you - Leupold has put out some sweet products lately - the mark5hd and 5 and 6hd lines are awesome.
They are close to 20 ounces lighter than other scopes in their class & the US Army has chosen the Mark5 for their M110 Sniper Rifle & USSOCOM selected MK22 Mod 0 based on the Barret Multi-Role Adaptive Design bolt-action, multi-caliber system chambered in 7.62 NATO, .300 Norma Mag., and .338 Norma Mag. Absolutely love my Mark5 & VX6hds

Leupold, a hot topic. I have wanted to try a vx3i many times just because they are light weight and I like the clean look about them. Glass is good. Maybe one day I will run upon a deal I can't refuse.
I like the new vx3i with zero stop - thinking about one for an ultra lite weight set up.

I've been looking into light weight rigs for the next build... so far the Swarovski z5 3.5-18x44bt is right there at the top of the optic list at 17.4oz.

Bourney like the choice however have you tried the new Burris Eliminator mach 3 ? I have found it to be outstanding on my 7rem mag Haven't tried at 1400 meters yet but did do a head shot on a goat on the cut line at 680 meters
Cheers from down under

If the Mark 5 Hr 3-18-44 wasn't tuff and great the Army wouldn't be using them 35mm tube gives you a wider angle with more light. Plus this scope is just over 12 inches long. What's not to like.
https://www.recoilweb.com/the-armys-m110-gets-new-glass-the-leupold-mark-5hd-159893.html?

Is that scope that's pictured available to the public? You can find them cheaper on gunbroker.com than you can from the 3 listed suppliers. I'm not sure how this one is $700 better than the 171715 version that I will get next week.

This is what happens when social distancing brings on cabin fever! I've got money coming from sale of truck - no stimulus checks for me. Part of the truck cash will go for new scope for my 6 lb. 7mm. Need to be able to ping targets to beyond 1200-1400 yards and have enough elevation to get there with a 20 degree rail if needed.

While I thought the choice might be a Leopold HD5 3-18, I've got mixed feelings about the 35mm tube. I'm not a big fan of the illuminated reticle choice for their mil model either (TMR). That appears to be the best glass in a light package from Lup.

Second consideration was a NF NX8 but again, I've got one shot to do this right, pun intended, and want the highest quality glass I can buy. I've heard mixed reviews on the NX8 glass and light transmission capabilities.

I would probably get a ZComp if it wasn't such a tank... and may still do that but need to look through one. Clarity and low light performance found in the top tear glass are important to me though... so that factors into what i'll end up buying... I've considered Minox, Kahles, S&B, Zeiss, and Swaro in the same lineup... even a Valdada IOR, a new one they just came up with, the TX Raider Compact (but then 2 lbs too, and back to 35mm tube.)

The IOR MP8 is the only FFP reticle I've had any time behind and was usable at its lowest power...so that's another decision factor with this new scope, given most are FFP will it be usable for short range, dark timber or low light conditions. Some FFPs I've looked through would be near invisible without illumination - so unless you can see it like an MP8 at low magnification. I'll have to have that. I'm using a range finder so most of the time, FFP isn't a requirement but most of the top end glass seems to comes in FFP...

I'm sure there are plenty of varying opinions out there, but what would you do if faced with a single opportunity to buy one high end scope for your lightweight hunting rifle. I've got a budget that can do $3500 but I'm not apposed to applying some $ to deer/elk tags if I find the right scope. Ultimate resolution, repeat-ability, low light performance, elevation, in a mil scope that can reach out and get the job done with the above criteria. Thoughts? Other options?
Check out tract scopes. Have heard great things. Have talked to owner and he sounds like he really knows optics. They have life time warranty,schott glass locking parrallex etc. Some other members may have used them let's see if any one chimes in good or bad!!

Fierce CT Edge 300 PRC topped with NF NX8 2.5-20 worked great this weekend on my Spring Bear hunt! At 8.5lbs this Boar died a valiant death. Don't over-think this...buy what you like but buy quality, it will make you happy in the long run!

Attachments

• FF5B1961-6F94-44DB-BF0C-245F7FE90A91.jpeg
    FF5B1961-6F94-44DB-BF0C-245F7FE90A91.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 106
  • DE35E99D-D12C-49A0-A96D-FDBBE13A2F4D.jpeg
    DE35E99D-D12C-49A0-A96D-FDBBE13A2F4D.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 102
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts