High-end scope for ultralight hunting rifle?

Zeiss or Swarovski and no regrets.

Thanks again everyone for all the thoughts. Good things to think a about and consider. Thinking more intently on the highest end for this rifle if the money i have will capture it. I'll upgrade my other rifles with more of the mid grade as i can afford. I'll post a pic when all set up. T

I am a leupold man( own more than a dozen) and would suggest the vx5 or 6 or the mk5 3-15 . Despite its 35 mm tube , there are rings out there like the valdada rings which are low enough to keep your scope close to your barrel.
I don't quite get the bashing on leupold scope when they have one of the best warranty on the market and will fix it for free if there is any issue . The March 3-25-52 is definitely another candidate if you want to keep it reasonably light. Another one that come to my mind would be a Swarovski z5 3.5-18-44. You would be limited by the one turn dial up for the distance though. The x5 would be another option but much heavier . There is definitely a market for a lightweight Ffp scope with good glass,30mm tube and low profil turrets , the manufacturers have to wake up ! Have you noticed that as soon as it says "long range" or "tactical " on a scope it weight 10oz heavier?

I do not have much to add to this discussion except to say the best scope recently I have put my eye behind for more than a few seconds has been the Leupold VX5 HD 's 3-15 and the 5-25 both with the Horus #58 redicle illuminated. I would never expect such a wonderful scope out of Leupold since all I have heard is negative things about their tracking and such. I had no problems with tracking. 500 to 1800 yards the scope tracked up and down for the whole outing reliably. the rifles were custom built rifles. One in 338 Edge, one in 338 RUM. Both had muzzle brakes and tossed the scopes back and forth without impunity. the scopes took a very long 2 day long breaking in sessions, constantly getting jostled and adjusted for distance. They were rockstars. I was highly impressed.

I am a leupold man( own more than a dozen) and would suggest the vx5 or 6 or the mk5 3-15 . Despite its 35 mm tube , there are rings out there like the valdada rings which are low enough to keep your scope close to your barrel.
I don't quite get the bashing on leupold scope when they have one of the best warranty on the market and will fix it for free if there is any issue . The March 3-25-52 is definitely another candidate if you want to keep it reasonably light. Another one that come to my mind would be a Swarovski z5 3.5-18-44. You would be limited by the one turn dial up for the distance though. The x5 would be another option but much heavier . There is definitely a market for a lightweight Ffp scope with good glass,30mm tube and low profil turrets , the manufacturers have to wake up ! Have you noticed that as soon as it says "long range" or "tactical " on a scope it weight 10oz heavier?
And this market has been asking for exactly that for a long time. March has probably come the closest. Mil (for me);with enough elevation travel so it doesn't stress the internals, absolute repeatability and zero return, 30 if they can get enough travel in it, 50-52mm objective if they can still keep the weight down so there is decent exit pupil... and a reticle visible at 3 power. There are few options that have the super glass... so we're faced with tradeoffs. I dont shoot except in preparation for hunting or hunting itself but want worldclass features in a purpose built hunting scope someone would be able to take to a match and win with.

I don't quite get the bashing on leupold scope when they have one of the best warranty on the market and will fix it for free if there is any issue .
[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone is trying to bash Leupold. I think a lot of us have had really bad experiences on a repetitive basis and are simply trying to warn the op. One thing for sure, you will need to use their warranty. I'd rather use a more reliable platform that's much less prone to erector issues than possibly have a hunt ruined because i feel warm and fuzzy about a company's warranty policy.

@Tumbleweed You have been vocal on several threads about your dislike of leupold. I have been running several VX5HD's and VX6HD's hard for the last several years. Beat the heck out them hunting the rockies in Idaho. Almost weekly I run them out to 1250 and back and have never had any of the issues you talk about. They are tough scopes, track awesome and the glass is amazing.

I don't think anyone is trying to bash Leupold. I think a lot of us have had really bad experiences on a repetitive basis and are simply trying to warn the op. One thing for sure, you will need to use their warranty. I'd rather use a more reliable platform that's much less prone to erector issues than possibly have a hunt ruined because i feel warm and fuzzy about a company's warranty policy.
You have been vocal on several threads about your dislike of leupold. I have been running several VX5HD's and VX6HD's hard for the last several years. Beat the heck out them hunting the rockies in Idaho. Almost weekly I run them out to 1250 and back and have never had any of the issues you talk about. They are tough scopes, track awesome and the glass is amazing.
[/QUOTE]

Hey brother I'm glad you've had great luck with yours. As you know, that has not been the case from what I've experienced repeatedly and others i know locally. That's on a large sample size over 25 years. Leupold has a problem with their erectors in the entire VX line of scopes. The op deserves to hear feedback (positive or negative) when he's getting ready to make this large of a purchase.

Leupold, a hot topic. I have wanted to try a vx3i many times just because they are light weight and I like the clean look about them. Glass is good. Maybe one day I will run upon a deal I can't refuse.

Yes I guess ive been lucky too.Been running them 44 years,some where my Dads.Most on 7rm or larger.Taken 98 % my game with them.Hard hunts in rockies and many years on horseback,guns broke in half,scoped dented.My 340 has has one for 36 year .Var 3 dialed for years when no one was dialing on the mountain. Then mark4 on my 7-2 oz.338 NM,Which went to my other 338nm.The 6x on low end didnt like in grizz country.Those rifles never missed a beat.I fell on 340 hard,with saftey on had beat bolt open with large stick.Mine ride in a jeep full bore and on my rokon also_One is on my 6 # 325 wsm that Ive busted hi mtn muleys with,running crampons in extreme terrain.My mark 5 is my current favorite scope,over my March,but it is the large one and not a packer.I would serious consider the mark 5 3-18x44 mil. at 26 oz,and around 12''

Hey brother I'm glad you've had great luck with yours. As you know, that has not been the case from what I've experienced repeatedly and others i know locally. That's on a large sample size over 25 years. Leupold has a problem with their erectors in the entire VX line of scopes. The op deserves to hear feedback (positive or negative) when he's getting ready to make this large of a purchase.
But you don't share your experience. You make blanket statements about how they all suck...how is that helpful? I am guessing that you also don't believe Leupold has made any improvements to their erectors in the last 25 yrs? Just every other part of the scope?

Yes I guess ive been lucky too.Been running them 44 years,some where my Dads.Most on 7rm or larger.Taken 98 % my game with them.Hard hunts in rockies and many years on horseback,guns broke in half,scoped dented.My 340 has has one for 36 year .Var 3 dialed for years when no one was dialing on the mountain. Then mark4 on my 7-2 oz.338 NM,Which went to my other 338nm.The 6x on low end didnt like in grizz country.Those rifles never missed a beat.I fell on 340 hard,with saftey on had beat bolt open with large stick.Mine ride in a jeep full bore and on my rokon also_One is on my 6 # 325 wsm that Ive busted hi mtn muleys with,running crampons in extreme terrain.My mark 5 is my current favorite scope,over my March,but it is the large one and not a packer.I would serious consider the mark 5 3-18x44 mil. at 26 oz,and around 12''
If the Mark 5 HD 3-18-44 wasn't tuff and great the Army wouldn't be using them 35mm tube gives you a wider angle with more light. Plus this scope is just over 12 inches long. What's not to like.
https://www.recoilweb.com/the-armys-m110-gets-new-glass-the-leupold-mark-5hd-159893.html?

Last edited:
This is what happens when social distancing brings on cabin fever! I've got money coming from sale of truck - no stimulus checks for me. Part of the truck cash will go for new scope for my 6 lb. 7mm. Need to be able to ping targets to beyond 1200-1400 yards and have enough elevation to get there with a 20 degree rail if needed.

While I thought the choice might be a Leopold HD5 3-18, I've got mixed feelings about the 35mm tube. I'm not a big fan of the illuminated reticle choice for their mil model either (TMR). That appears to be the best glass in a light package from Lup.

Second consideration was a NF NX8 but again, I've got one shot to do this right, pun intended, and want the highest quality glass I can buy. I've heard mixed reviews on the NX8 glass and light transmission capabilities.

I would probably get a ZComp if it wasn't such a tank... and may still do that but need to look through one. Clarity and low light performance found in the top tear glass are important to me though... so that factors into what i'll end up buying... I've considered Minox, Kahles, S&B, Zeiss, and Swaro in the same lineup... even a Valdada IOR, a new one they just came up with, the TX Raider Compact (but then 2 lbs too, and back to 35mm tube.)

The IOR MP8 is the only FFP reticle I've had any time behind and was usable at its lowest power...so that's another decision factor with this new scope, given most are FFP will it be usable for short range, dark timber or low light conditions. Some FFPs I've looked through would be near invisible without illumination - so unless you can see it like an MP8 at low magnification. I'll have to have that. I'm using a range finder so most of the time, FFP isn't a requirement but most of the top end glass seems to comes in FFP...

I'm sure there are plenty of varying opinions out there, but what would you do if faced with a single opportunity to buy one high end scope for your lightweight hunting rifle. I've got a budget that can do $3500 but I'm not apposed to applying some $ to deer/elk tags if I find the right scope. Ultimate resolution, repeat-ability, low light performance, elevation, in a mil scope that can reach out and get the job done with the above criteria. Thoughts? Other options?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.