Here they come again 😏

Definitely a double edged sword.....I do love hunting and eating them, but it's crazy the damage they do. I recently got one on a vineyard/citrus grove and the landowner said that one year a single sounder ate $180,000 of grapes in 2 weeks.

This is the one I got recently, right out of the vineyard, but it honestly won't be much help. They're everywhere out there. CA is finally going to make it a little easier on us next year by selling a hog 'permit' vs tags. There's already no limit but you have to buy a tag for each one you kill. The permit will be buy once annually and take all you want without tagging each one. Still need a hunting license, but surprisingly CA is at least going in the right direction for once. Selfishly, I'd be sad to see em all gone but I know it's probably never going to happen anyway with the population we've got!

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 53
They eat through the bones. We've shot some hogs and split them open for Coyote bait. At night before going to bed we've put game cam. Some occassion the Coyotes drag the hog, there were times hogs eat them through the bones. There would be nothing left by sunrise.

Somehow, a few times we would leave Coyotes hanging on the fence or on the ground, no carnivores would touch them.
Hogs will a 3 month old calf in a night & meat & bones eaten all left is a grease spot on ground. Place where I hunted for rancher lost 23 calves in 18 days. They were Longhorn calves. High dollar stock.

We didn't have any in NYS until capitalism overroad wisdom...🤷🏻‍♂️
"Where Have Feral Hogs in New York Been Spotted? New York State documented four herds located in Tioga, Cortland/Onondaga, Delaware/Sullivan, and Clinton Counties. Escapees from wild boar hunting preserves are likely the source of some of this population".
Not enough guns in the State to keep up with wild pigs mating unchecked. I'm presently in Germany where hunting wild pigs (boar) is in focus because of disease that spreads to domestic pigs (Schweinepest)... but it hasn't put a dent in controlling the population... they're wandering around in cities where they can't be shot at...🤪
It's "drive hunt" season now... chasing them out of the woods and cornfields with dogs... so I guess I'll be back out in the woods again soon to continue doing my part to "assist"... 😂

Last edited:
I heard a Texas Wildlife biologist say the problem is the gilts become sexually mature in as little as 3-4 months of age and can have 2 to 3 litters of pigs per year. That's an average of 18 new pigs born every year for every sow, and if they lose the whole litter they come back into heat almost immediately.

Then he said: "Of those 18 piglets born, as many as 30 will survive! 😆😆😆
Marty Stoufer did a documentary many years ago on Wild America called Hog Wild I think it was very informative. One sow is responsible for 1 million pigs. Ive seen 50 or so in a bunch and thought it was a lot until I saw a video on youtube titled Many many many..

Even feral hogs can be a mixed bag at times. A good buddy has about 550 acres he owns and leases. One of his smaller fields was absolutely dug up by pigs. Looked like a WWI battlefield! Well, the turkeys absolutely loved it! Never seen so many turkey tracks and dusting areas in one place! We think too that the pigs were probably rooting up things that the turkeys liked to eat as well. Who knew??!!
Yea, drilled in oats and wheat in the fields had on field just starting to spread completely rooted. A total nuisance. Will start taking them down after Thanksgiving all I come across. The thermals scopes with cans sure do look interesting