Here it is...

I hope you have better luck than I did. After waiting over a year I finally got mine only to have to return it to Cooper. They re-barrelled and re-bedded it and I finally got it back. It took a bunch more time because I'm in Canada. So far it shoots good for only two or three rounds and then really spreads them out. I've only shot it 26 times so I'm hoping it settles down but so far I'm pretty discouraged. The throat is rather long and I can't reach the lands with anything and still fit cartridges in the magazine.

IMG_0536_zps91775286.jpg

I hope you have better luck than I did. After waiting over a year I finally got mine only to have to return it to Cooper. They re-barrelled and re-bedded it and I finally got it back. It took a bunch more time because I'm in Canada. So far it shoots good for only two or three rounds and then really spreads them out. I've only shot it 26 times so I'm hoping it settles down but so far I'm pretty discouraged. The throat is rather long and I can't reach the lands with anything and still fit cartridges in the magazine.

IMG_0536_zps91775286.jpg

Wow. You are the first person that I've read that is discouraged by a Cooper. I hope you are able to get it straightened out. What caliber did you order? The mag on my rifle is fairly long as it is a long action.

It's a 7mm-08. I spoke with another guy on-line here in Canada that had a similar expereince with a 7mm-08 about the same time.

Ok. I can't speak for the long throat on the 7mm-08 as I do not own one. I knew going into this that I would have a long throat. I specifically requested the Norma chamber ing as it does have a longer throat than the win version. Also, this rifle was built to SAAMI specs per the caliber. Good luck in getting your gun to shoot. This may be a shot in the dark, but was your barrel hot on your 4th and 5th shots? My 17 hmr shoots great until the barrel gets hot.

No, I didn't allow the barrel to get hot. I realize your 6.5-284 has a long throat as it's built on a long action. Thus you have room to seat your bullets out and still fit the magazine. This isn't possible on a M54/short action. I'm sure yours will shoot lights out as all others I've seen on here seem to. Let us know.

Finally got out to the range. Load as follows: Barnes LRX 127gr, Fed 210, 55.5gr IMR 7828, and lap brass. Group @ 100 yds .435 measured from center to center from widest point. This load was worked up very quick since I don't have much time before deer hunting. I plan on messing around with it once time allows. Enough talk, here are a couple of pics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 54
That's what I'm talking about! Nice shooting! Good luck in the field -no excuses with that kind of accuracy.

Here is a target from my M52 Jackson Game in 280AI. Did a max charge test with H4831SC and Berger 168VLD's this weekend. 10 shots, 53.5gr to MAX 58gr. I guess 100yds doesn't show much verticle stringing:D

I adjusted the optics .75MOA left for the last two shots, as I hate putting it back in the safe a little bit off :cool:

Next up is some ladder testing!

Very cool that you got a shooter. That 6&1/2 will be a nightmare for deer!gun)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 54
That's what I'm talking about! Nice shooting! Good luck in the field -no excuses with that kind of accuracy.

Here is a target from my M52 Jackson Game in 280AI. Did a max charge test with H4831SC and Berger 168VLD's this weekend. 10 shots, 53.5gr to MAX 58gr. I guess 100yds doesn't show much verticle stringing:D

I adjusted the optics .75MOA left for the last two shots, as I hate putting it back in the safe a little bit off :cool:

Next up is some ladder testing!

Very cool that you got a shooter. That 6&1/2 will be a nightmare for deer!gun)

Thanks yeah I have one more trip to the range before I will be good to go. You also have a shooter. Definitely can't go wrong with a Cooper. I also like your chambering. I have shot a rem 700 280 for the last 14 years and never lost one deer. The only problem was that it was my fathers rifle. He always told me that it is 'mine' but I wanted my own so to speak.

Shot it through the crony with the same load as posted above. 5 shot average MV is 3222. I will take it...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.