Henry big boy accuracy

No idea if those Henrys can even be made, to shoot with a Marlin 1894 but, try the Sierra 210 GR's if ya want a tight cloverleaf size group.
Yeah you mentioned that at the beginning of the thread, I really don't think it will do a whole lot different that the 240 gr Sierra but I may be wrong who knows.

Yeah you mentioned that at the beginning of the thread, I really don't think it will do a whole lot different that the 240 gr Sierra but I may be wrong who knows.
Yep, probably it is likely, those JM Marlins are in a league of their own. M.L.(MIC) McPherson wrote an awesome book on Lever guns and those Henrys aren't even mentioned. So probably just be happy with the wide open groups, good luck!

Yep, probably it is likely, those JM Marlins are in a league of their own. M.L.(MIC) McPherson wrote an awesome book on Lever guns and those Henrys aren't even mentioned. So probably just be happy with the wide open groups, good luck!
Yeah when it comes to 44 mag Henry compared to marlin is like rossi to win 92s. If and when Ruger starts making the marlin 1894s I will be getting one

They ,Ruger had the 1894 Marlin 44Mag, at the 2023 Shot Show, so it's being made again now! They ain't getting any cheaper either.

Max I would be running the 240s would be 1750+- do you think they would be good there?
My reloading manual shows highest velocities for 44mag just around 1500fps. So you are pushing them hard for sure at 1750+. 44mag was originally designed as a pistol cartridge. Bullets were designed around that application. When 44mag rifles started arriving it just so happened that the pistol bullets worked well in those rifles. Just as an experiment I would take two approaches. Cut back on the velocity, find a load in a manual that will produce 1400-1500 fps with the 240gr bullet. See if that improves groups at all. Lastly I'd look closely at the scope and its mounts. I have old eyes and can shoot 1" groups with my peep sight at 80 yards. And that's good enough for me in a timber gun. You should be able to do better with the scope. Do you have another scope maybe on another rifle that you can swap over and see if that changes things for the better. I would still give Henry customer service a call to see what they advise.

My reloading manual shows highest velocities for 44mag just around 1500fps. So you are pushing them hard for sure at 1750+. 44mag was originally designed as a pistol cartridge. Bullets were designed around that application. When 44mag rifles started arriving it just so happened that the pistol bullets worked well in those rifles. Just as an experiment I would take two approaches. Cut back on the velocity, find a load in a manual that will produce 1400-1500 fps with the 240gr bullet. See if that improves groups at all. Lastly I'd look closely at the scope and its mounts. I have old eyes and can shoot 1" groups with my peep sight at 80 yards. And that's good enough for me in a timber gun. You should be able to do better with the scope. Do you have another scope maybe on another rifle that you can swap over and see if that changes things for the better. I would still give Henry customer service a call to see what they advise.
Reminder that they are getting shot out of a 16" rifle so they are a decent amount faster. Yeah the scope is definitely not the best for best really tight groups, but it isn't moving any, point of impact also stays relatively the same. I need to test the bullets at lower speeds, the Berry's say a max of 1850, but the others I could not find a max on them, but they are made for a handgun so accuracy could improve with a lighter load.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230429-123625.png
    Screenshot_20230429-123625.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 21
No sir, I have not but I have come to the conclusion that I need to shoot .431 diameter projectiles and try to shoot the current bullets I have used at a lower velocity. If neither of those work I'm really not sure, I'll just have to stay with the ones that shoot good
OP,

Just wondering if you ever got it figured out???

matt