Henry big boy accuracy

The Berrys I have shot were soft lead inside with a thin copper shell so the bullets obturate well and fill the bore.
Like wvbearhunter said I would slug the bore to see the exact size.I have a Marlin Cowboy that will not shoot and .429 bullet well at all so I slugged the barrel and got real close to .431 so I cast my bullets for it or places that cast bullets can cast a custom order for me like Montana Bullet Works.Just a thought.
That rifle now is a tack driver!

The Berrys I have shot were soft lead inside with a thin copper shell so the bullets obturate well and fill the bore.
Like wvbearhunter said I would slug the bore to see the exact size.I have a Marlin Cowboy that will not shoot and .429 bullet well at all so I slugged the barrel and got real close to .431 so I cast my bullets for it or places that cast bullets can cast a custom order for me like Montana Bullet Works.Just a thought.
It almost makes me think it is underbored, if the Berry's shoot well with the soft lead core, and all the other ones that are .4295 and .430 shoot bad it might be the underbore. I have also shot some cast bullets that I believe we're .431 and they shot really bad

Agree, I was just going to suggest Montana Bullets up the size and hard cast in a Keith design with gas check say in 255gr... good call. Cheers

If you have lead just melt some or you can go to LBT and order some blanks to slug barrels with.
I melted some pure lead and poured it in a 45 lc case and hammered it down a little bit and more so in the front and lubed it real good and lubed the barrel too and slugged my barrel with that,worked like a charm.
Be sure to use wooden dowls to hammer it in in stages then measure and you will know for sure.
Done a bunch of them

If you have lead just melt some or you can go to LBT and order some blanks to slug barrels with.
I melted some pure lead and poured it in a 45 lc case and hammered it down a little bit and more so in the front and lubed it real good and lubed the barrel too and slugged my barrel with that,worked like a charm.
Be sure to use wooden dowls to hammer it in in stages then measure and you will know for sure.
Done a bunch of them
Yeah I will probably just order some if I do get around to slugging it.

Haven't reloaded for my Henry 44 mag,(Yet) but have shot groups off the bench with Hornady XTP's, PMC 180 & 240 grain, and Legend pro 240 grain ; all factory ammo. The later was The only 44 I could find when I bought the rifle a few years back during ammo crunch. The Legend Pro states on box copper hollow point (appears to be a lead bullet, maybe with copper core?)

The Legend's shot best group, not by much. But to be fair, I was only shooting to find my hold for 100, which would be longest shot I'd take in these piney woods.

Not related to op, but the Henry shoulders and falls on target for me better than my dad's Winchester 94 and my Marlin 336. This might raise some hackles!

I rather just find a load for the w296 because I have a good amount of left.
Haven't reloaded for my Henry 44 mag,(Yet) but have shot groups off the bench with Hornady XTP's, PMC 180 & 240 grain, and Legend pro 240 grain ; all factory ammo. The later was The only 44 I could find when I bought the rifle a few years back during ammo crunch. The Legend Pro states on box copper hollow point (appears to be a lead bullet, maybe with copper core?)

The Legend's shot best group, not by much. But to be fair, I was only shooting to find my hold for 100, which would be longest shot I'd take in these piney woods.

Not related to op, but the Henry shoulders and falls on target for me better than my dad's Winchester 94 and my Marlin 336. This might raise some hackles!
The Henry's do feel good when shooting, it seems like you get similar results, as I do.

Slug your bore. lf its around .429 then Sierras@4295 or Hornadys @430 should be ok. l f its app .428 you may be able to find some with 44-40s. lts .427".

24gr of 296 and a 240gr XTP. or I bought a mold from Accurate molds that makes 250gr and that uses 21.1gr of enforcer. they both make 1in groups at 75yd. I have the color case version and the carbine, the 250gr shoots very well in both with the same load. I also shot the 265gr FTX bullet made for the 444, it shot fantastic, but with the thicker jacket, it wont expand at our speeds (I want it for hunting) so I ditched the rest.

IIRC 44mag rifle SAMMI is .430-.431..........

matt

Recent Posts