Helpful suggestions on shooting please

I sure did not mean to start an argument with my o.p. I just thought maybe I could get some ideas that would help my elderly friend shoot better and get over his flinch. I have received some very good ideas. Please, don't get in an argument. We do have a ruger American in .308 caliber we could loan the older man but he will be hunting on open range land and may shoot out to 300 - 400 yards. I am not sure a .308 would do the job on an elk at that range.
Thank you all.
Bakercity

308 should be capable at those distances w/ a 180gr pill.

My app says: 180gr, 0.45bc, 2500fps, 5000ft elevation, 1250ftlbs at 500, 1450ftlbs at 400.

Not an argument. I think more like very lively debate. :D
Some are opinionated on this forum. Comes from having a passion for the sport discussed. In the end we are all just trying to help bag that elk! gun)

Good luck.

I like it!

When the guy with the muzzle brake shows up at the range it is time for me to leave.

Lots of places won't let you shoot with one.

they are obnoxious

now I have a 6mm with a break but I take it off if I am shooting at a range and it is only a 6mm.

saw a guy with a .338 lapua with a brake shooting at our range one day. The blast was awful. cleared out the benches on each side of him two rows deep. I saw what was fixing to happen and was standing out in the parking lot watching.

I hate those things. Nothing like having one of those AR guys with a 16" .308 with a brake right next to you. Time to go.

I like it!

When the guy with the muzzle brake shows up at the range it is time for me to leave.

Lots of places won't let you shoot with one.

they are obnoxious

now I have a 6mm with a break but I take it off if I am shooting at a range and it is only a 6mm.

saw a guy with a .338 lapua with a brake shooting at our range one day. The blast was awful. cleared out the benches on each side of him two rows deep. I saw what was fixing to happen and was standing out in the parking lot watching.

I hate those things. Nothing like having one of those AR guys with a 16" .308 with a brake right next to you. Time to go.

I agree! LOL

Check the safe for a 308. Depending on the terrain you may not get much more than a 3-400yd shot. I've seen elk killed w/ a 243 so I wouldn't put the 30-06 at the bottom of the heap. Shot distance is always relevant.

All the suggested practices will def improve your friend's issue. Remember perfect practice is what he needs to work on. Example I've take a few newbies out elk hunting and to get them ready I would let them shoot my AR just for plinking and getting accustomed to different positions, shooting in general. Before you know I here bang...... bang..... bangbangbangbang... No no no no. Though its a semi auto, concentrate on each shot as though its your one and only.

1. dry fire
2. houdini ( I really like this one) I would load an array of live rounds or spent brass.
3. small caliber practice. I would start off a solid bench and work on form before moving to different positions. Even eyes closed to work on overall feel.
Anyone shooting elk with a 243 should have there hunting liscence revoked thats just rediculous to me. If ur in a survival situation then fine. I didnt know that putting a muzzle break on made u a tough guy. I would think it meant the exact opposite. As for anyone complaining about a guy at the range shooting with a muzzle break then pack up and leave. Thats what hearing protection is for.

You can install a muzzle break. On a 30-06 a break should make it a breeze to shoot. I definately would not go with a smaller caliber for elk.
add a brake. add weight. better fit. and i would add muff and puffs when practicing.

Anyone shooting elk with a 243 should have there hunting liscence revoked thats just rediculous to me. If ur in a survival situation then fine. I didnt know that putting a muzzle break on made u a tough guy. I would think it meant the exact opposite. As for anyone complaining about a guy at the range shooting with a muzzle break then pack up and leave. Thats what hearing protection is for.

That's interesting. A few years ago a guy in Oregon wanted .25 caliber outlawed for elk. There are too many regulations already.

I had a friend who was going to use his .243 factory loads for elk hunting. I asked if I could load some ammo for him. The Nosler Partition 100 grainers were running over 3,000 feet per second. He put one through the rib cage of a five point bull which dropped within fifty yards on the hunt I went on. The bullet stopped on the off side hide. He killed a cow the year after that with the same box of ammo. After that I lost track of him. Dead is dead.

I know that a 243 can kill elk just like u could probably do it with a 22-250 that doesnt mean im going to try it. I could never take a 243 out for elk. Thats what o use for coyotes and would never try and kill anything bigger than deer.

You tell the beaming 12yo kid w/ his nice 5x5 that he should have his license revoked and while you're at it complain to the D&G tell them to regulate regulate regulate.

I know that a 243 can kill elk just like u could probably do it with a 22-250 that doesnt mean im going to try it. I could never take a 243 out for elk. Thats what o use for coyotes and would never try and kill anything bigger than deer.

No one told you to use a 243 on elk. I personally wouldn't but my OPINION should not deprive others of their choice. Could you b**ch a little more? Please, b/c its really helping the op figure out a good solution to his problem. Thanks

I never thought putting a brake on a rifle made one a tough guy or a "not" tough guy. I think putting a brake on a rifle that recoils more than you enjoy makes you a SMART guy.....

And using good ear protection makes you not foolish...

I never thought putting a brake on a rifle made one a tough guy or a "not" tough guy. I think putting a brake on a rifle that recoils more than you enjoy makes you a SMART guy.....

And using good ear protection makes you not foolish...

Your missing the point. The thread is about LEARNING to control a flinch. Once a flinch starts a brake may not fix it. NO ONE is talking about being tough or suggesting ANYONE shoots any rifle with or without a brake WITHOUT ear protection. Take the time to read.

Your missing the point. The thread is about LEARNING to control a flinch. Once a flinch starts a brake may not fix it. NO ONE is talking about being tough or suggesting ANYONE shoots any rifle with or without a brake WITHOUT ear protection. Take the time to read.

May I suggest you "take the time to read" post number 9. I think you'll find I've not missed the point at all...

I think the tough guy and ear protect...side track came from harley. All is good.

A break is an option, but most certainly not the only option and being as its the second in cost compared to a new rifle I'd say its pretty far down the list. I really like some of the mentioned techniques and w/ adequate range time I think the shooter will benefit immensely.

Any updates?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.