Helpful suggestions on shooting please

I used to work with a guy whose dad gave him a .30-06. He fired it five times and figured he was finished for the rest of his life with that rifle. I asked if I could borrow it and reduce the recoil and have the trigger adjusted. When he got it back he shot the rest of the box of shell and said he was ready to buy some more ammo. brakes work!
Thank you!

They can also cause instant and permanent deafness. Just be aware of that and consider the situations the rifle will be used in the field.

I would much rather be more accurate with a loud rifle then be less accurate with a quiet rifle. I seriousely dought that noise is the concern when u pull the trigger on an elk. He didnt say he was going varmint hunting.

he needs to practice with a gun with little or no recoil. 6mm or less. Even practicing with a scoped .22 lr would be a plus. He needs to work on the fundamentals. Sight picture, trigger squeeze and consistent hold. During it excitement of the hunt he won't even notice the recoil.

He doesn't need to shoot any heavy recoiling gun until sight in for the hunt.

learn to shoot with something that doesn't hurt shoulder or ears. Practice as much as possible.

once that sight alignment, trigger squeeze and consistent hold is ingrained into your brain you will do it properly with any gun.

he won't even notice the recoil when that big old elk is standing in front of him.

On the subject of noise:

Where you put the hearing protection is entirely up to you. Put it on the muzzle, put it on the outside of your ears, or put it inside your ears. BUT PUT IT SOMEWHERE. EVERY TIME YOU SHOOT.

Hearing loss is permanent and cumulative. Every time you take another whack at it, that's it, it's gone and stays gone. With all the money we spend on the rest of our gear, not spending a reasonable amount on preserving and protecting one of your five senses is just silly. Some pretty good and practical electronic devices are available for less than the cost of the last barrel I bought...

On the subject of noise:

Where you put the hearing protection is entirely up to you. Put it on the muzzle, put it on the outside of your ears, or put it inside your ears. BUT PUT IT SOMEWHERE. EVERY TIME YOU SHOOT.

Hearing loss is permanent and cumulative. Every time you take another whack at it, that's it, it's gone and stays gone. With all the money we spend on the rest of our gear, not spending a reasonable amount on preserving and protecting one of your five senses is just silly. Some pretty good and practical electronic devices are available for less than the cost of the last barrel I bought...

take it from a 60 year old half deaf old man.

Brakes work! The idea that brakes cause more damage than an unbraked rifle is foolishness. Guns are LOUD! I use plugs and electronic muffs at the range and varmint hunting. When I go big game hunting I use only the electronics.

By the way my mom's hearing, who never fired a gun, was much worse than my dad's who used to use a .410 shotgun to kill crows when he was a young man. Some hearing loss is genetically programed in some folks.

And I seriously don't understand your thought patterns.
How do u not understand what a muzzle break does. The post is about making a rifle more comfortable to shoot so he does not flinch. What helps a rifle kick less then a muzzle break. Your worried about noise then were ear protection.
If the rifle is more managable for the shooter then it will be alot easier to cure a flinch common sense. In a big game hunting situation noise from a rifle shot is my last concern. Accuracy is always the most important.

This is not an "Either-or" argument. It is a "both-and" discussion. Flinching can be as much from getting your ears smashed as from getting punched in the shoulder. Use good quality ear protection. Always.

Yea, yea, yea, and yea, heard all of this before. Brake, brake, brake, and more brake is even better. The truth is some folks cannot afford expensive electronic hearing protection. I own a few braked rifles and I don't think ear plugs are adequate with a break - especially for the person who happens to be beside you. And god forbid that person, in all the excitement, forgets to put ear plugs in at the shot. Is your piece of game meat and the fact you have to shoot more rifle than you can handle, really more important than your buddy's hearing?

Yes hearing damage is cumulative and hearing protection should always be wore. But humans being humans sometimes forget for whatever reason. One blast from a braked rifle without hearing protection can cause immediate permanent hearing loss. I have a friend who that happened to. He now wears hearing aids in both ears.

The OP never mentions the environment where the hunt is taking place. It may not be a long range setup like most on the forum expect. It could be more of a close range situation. I just don't think a brake is appropriate in the latter and a lesser caliber in a heavier rifle would be a better solution. Besides hunting season is just around the corner and having a brake put on at this point may not even be doable. I think practice is more important at this point.

Check the safe for a 308. Depending on the terrain you may not get much more than a 3-400yd shot. I've seen elk killed w/ a 243 so I wouldn't put the 30-06 at the bottom of the heap. Shot distance is always relevant.

All the suggested practices will def improve your friend's issue. Remember perfect practice is what he needs to work on. Example I've take a few newbies out elk hunting and to get them ready I would let them shoot my AR just for plinking and getting accustomed to different positions, shooting in general. Before you know I here bang...... bang..... bangbangbangbang... No no no no. Though its a semi auto, concentrate on each shot as though its your one and only.

1. dry fire
2. houdini ( I really like this one) I would load an array of live rounds or spent brass.
3. small caliber practice. I would start off a solid bench and work on form before moving to different positions. Even eyes closed to work on overall feel.

I sure did not mean to start an argument with my o.p. I just thought maybe I could get some ideas that would help my elderly friend shoot better and get over his flinch. I have received some very good ideas. Please, don't get in an argument. We do have a ruger American in .308 caliber we could loan the older man but he will be hunting on open range land and may shoot out to 300 - 400 yards. I am not sure a .308 would do the job on an elk at that range.
Thank you all.
Bakercity

I sure did not mean to start an argument with my o.p. I just thought maybe I could get some ideas that would help my elderly friend shoot better and get over his flinch. I have received some very good ideas. Please, don't get in an argument. We do have a ruger American in .308 caliber we could loan the older man but he will be hunting on open range land and may shoot out to 300 - 400 yards. I am not sure a .308 would do the job on an elk at that range.
Thank you all.
Bakercity

Not an argument. I think more like very lively debate. :D
Some are opinionated on this forum. Comes from having a passion for the sport discussed. In the end we are all just trying to help bag that elk! gun)

Good luck.

Thank you all.
Bakercity

you kind of missed my point. If you will get him some good practice with a light recoiling rifle and not shoot any hard kicking guns even your .308 until the hunt he will be prepared and won't even notice the recoil of the one shot he will hopefully fire.

One of you tough guys can sight it in for him.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.