Help with range finder

Onefish33

Looking for a new range finder. Been looking at the Vortex Ranger1500, Leupold 1200, Kilo 2000, Kilo 2200.

From what I read the Kilo seems to be the better choice but would like any input from people that used them. I live in the south so 2-300 yard shots are about the longest unless I get on gas or power line. How ever I would like to be able to range something 600+ yards if needed. Thanks for input.

For the distances you mentioned they would probably all work. The only one mentioned that I have experience with is the sig 2000. I do like it. It is small enough to easily pack seems to be fairly clear. Ranges out to the 1000 yd. plus on game and have ranges trees, rocks etc at over 2300 yds. Sig is coming out with a couple new models. Might be worth looking at. On the 2000 there seems to some good deals showing up. Good luck.

I have an older leica 1200 and a Sig kilo 2000. The kilo outperforms the leica by quite a bit, the leica has better optics. I've had no trouble out of my sig but there have been reports of some problems, I'd probably wait for the 2200 in hopes that they're going to fix the issues.

Rangefinder performance hinges heavily on atmospheric conditions and the object being ranged. I'd recommend getting the highest performing one you can afford instead of settling for what you think will work. A rangefinder rated for 800 yds quickly becomes a 300 yd rangefinder when you try to range a deer on a really humid day. The extra performance of something like the sig will give you results when conditions are less than perfect and lesser rangefinders are struggling. I live not too far from you and see what the humid days will do to a rangefinder. I prairie dog hunt in colorado and kansas & get better performance out there in the drier air.

Looking for a new range finder. Been looking at the Vortex Ranger1500, Leupold 1200, Kilo 2000, Kilo 2200.

From what I read the Kilo seems to be the better choice but would like any input from people that used them. I live in the south so 2-300 yard shots are about the longest unless I get on gas or power line. How ever I would like to be able to range something 600+ yards if needed. Thanks for input.

Have used all those brands. All will do what you ask. The only caveat is the ranger and the leupold might not range deer at that range. A larger perpendicular surface like a rock outcropping or thick tree etc. No trouble. Reflective? Most definately.
The sigs has ranged deer and cows
out to 1500 for me

600 yds is a chip shot for most rangefinders today. I would guess any of the ones mentioned will get there. If you aren't going to use it for longer ranges you may be wasting some $$$ by going higher end BUT rangefinders are a BUY ONCE CRY ONCE kinda deal. A RF that wont do what you want is WORTHLESS. Sounds like you don't need a G7 but a rangefinder is a YES/NO proposition. A scope may be a tad clearer or less than another but both will work. A RF either gives you a # or it doesn't. I would look at one of the older Leica 800 or 1200s. Dead nuts reliable AND easy to use I sold mine for a Swarov 1500 and every time I pull out the Swarov I also kick myself in the nuts for selling the Leica. Yeah the Swarov will range FURTHER, SOMETIMES but its clunky and hard to use.
As with any optics question I would counsel you to go to a store that has them and TRY THEM OUT. With RFs even a different unit of the same model CAN work differently. Take and test them and buy the one you tested. Lots more going on in a RF than a pair of binos.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.