Range finder

Justin1970

What do you prefer Zeiss Victory 8x26 PRF Rangefinder or GSeven BR2 Ballistic Rangefinder?
Or is there something else out there?

Simply stated the terrapin 05 is about the best rangefinder available in a somewhat affordable package...however for a do all hunting rangefinder that will adjust for enviromental conditions and give the shooter instant come ups- the g7 is pretty un beatable.

if your looking for an elr beyond 2000 rangefinder the terrapin is it

I used the Zeiss rangefinder for a year and found it lacking on small targets at longer ranges. I was frustrated that it couldn't range a coyote in a wide open field at much over 400 yards. I ended up selling it and replaced it with a Vectronix Terrapin. Best money I ever spent. It will easily range a coyote at 1200+ yards. I've never used the G7 so I can't give you an informed opinion on that one.

If hunting is your main use the g7 is pretty **** hard to beat. With the ability to give you accurate come ups for 5 diffrent rifles and adjust for enviromental conditions and angle of shot it is pretty sweet. We have been using them in our classes and hunting and they work as advertised. You need to practice using the rangefinder and its diffrent ranging modes to get correct and honest readings, but if you put in the time behind it you will be really happy with the results.

Now if elr shooting or pure ranging quality is what your looking for you can't beat the terrapins.

the PRF is a great rangefinder for the price, the glass is great and I have been able to get mine to range to almost 1500 under PERFECT conditions.

That said I will be upgrading to one with less beam divergence, at min the Leica but probably the G7.

the PRF is a great rangefinder for the price, the glass is great and I have been able to get mine to range to almost 1500 under PERFECT conditions.

That said I will be upgrading to one with less beam divergence, at min the Leica but probably the G7.

You might want to look at the beam divergence of the G7 first if you are of the same though as I. The G 7 utilizes one of the largest beams out there. And for what its worth I have been hearing some of my friends using the G7 now reporting mis ranges as I reported in the review I did when I bought mine and compared its reading with a Vectronix.

Jeff

thanks for the info Broz. The Leica is obviously MUCH cheaper and I have read that it has one of the tighter beams out there.

The two rifles I hunt longer ranges with have Kenton turrets on them anyway, accurate range is my primary concern, the G7 features would have been nice for some of my range guns though. I guess for the difference in price I can get another 7 turrets.....

I just started looking at the Geovid HD-B's due to another thread here. A buddy of mine has the older Geovids and they are awesome, these look like a serious contender for me.

I was looking at dropping some coin on some new 8 or 10X binos, I usually use 15X vipers or 20-60 Viper spotter on an outdoorsman tripod and relatively crappy 10X in hand while on the move (Diamondbacks).

The capability to put an SD card in with your parameters is pretty cool. I'll have to call tomorrow and get a price, local place does VERY cheap deals for guides (I'd buy under my friend)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.