Help with my 300 wby!!!

idahostalker

i have been doing some studying on the berger VLD bullets and im thinking of using them on my 300 weaterby mag. the problem is, is that im am kind of confused. i have been reading some articles that say you have to have to change the twist rate on your rifle for them to shoot accuratly. is that true? cause i don't want to buy them if they are not going to be very accurate out of my stock weatherby because if the normal twist rate. also, you can get the bullets in a 168 grain and a 185 grain bullet. does anybody know wich one would be a better bullet to shoot? would one be more accurate than the other? Thanks.

What is the normal twist rate of your 300 WBY?Without that info no one can answer.Generally a 1 in 12 would be needed for the 30 cal 185 VLDa 1 in 13 for the 168.

My 300 Wby Mark V has a factory accumark barrel with a 1 in 10 twist. I load 190 gr Berger VLD's over H-4831 powder with a fed 215 primer. Seat them with an AOL about .020" shorter than the mag box length to start. Mine shoots them sub moa.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.