Help with my 308

RyanG

I acquired a Remington 308 SPS Varmint about a year or so ago. Long story short I have to replace the barrel. After I noticed that my brass was being damaged when I shot it I took it to a gunsmith. It took a "no go" gauge with no problem. I am looking for any suggestions. My plan at this time is to go with a Shillen 5 1/2 contour and cut it to 24" in stainless in select match grade with a 1/10 twist.

But after reading on this sight this morning I got to thinking. Maybe I should change it out to another caliber. I have a 6.5-284, 243, 30-06 and a 7mm Rem Mag. So would it be a mistake to turn it into a 6.6x47 Lapua or a 260? Just wondering if the Lapua and the 260 would be the same rifle as the 284. Or should I leave it a 308? The action is a short action so that limits me a little.

And If I leave it a 308 my buddy says to go with a 20" bull fluted, what are your thoughts on that. I have always liked a longer barrel.

So far the rifle has less than 50 rounds through it. I replaced the cheapy stock when I got it with a HS Precision stock, LaRue Tactical base and a Timiney Trigger

Any assistance would be awesome.....

Thanks

Ryan

Last edited:
My 308 has a Shlen select match in light varmit it is fluted and finished @ 24" I have a leupold mark4 4.5-14 and a mcmillan A-5 with harris bipod it wieghs in @ 13 it is a little heavy after a couuple of hours but not something you can't get used to.

The 260 or 6.5x47 are both fun rounds with great accuracy. However lot to be said for the 308.

As for the barrel, 20-24" max would be my choice unless you are planning on a palma or FTR comp gun. I would go for the 1-11 twist vs the 1-10. No need for fluting unless you want to spend the extra $125-150 for some reason. Adjust the weight if that is the issue by the taper ordered.

More importantly, I would look very very carefully at the reamer being used.

What are you going to use the gun for?

What bullet weights do you plan on using?

Is that reamer cut for those bullets?

Lot of 308 reamers out there and not all work for everything.

Right now for LR, the berger 185 is really being utilized by many over the 175 SMK and quite a few are using the 208 Amax.

Thanks for the input!

I would say that the rifle will be used primarily for shooting paper and steel. I may hunt deer with it once in a while. I was thinking that the 260 and the 6.5x47 Lapua would be really close to the 6.5-284 that I just finished.

I have pretty much made up my mind that the rifle is staying a 308. Now I didnt know that the reamers were specific as to what bullet. I would like to shoot up to 185 bergers but mostly the 168 Sierra Matchkings. And not sure why I want to shoot the Bergers....

I have been looking at the Shillen stainless match barrel with a sendero taper. I chose the 1/10 over the 1/12 for the heavier bullet. But.... I did not see the 1/11 because I think that would fit my need perfectly. Dont really plan on shooting further that 6 or 700 yards.... but you never know. I wont be hunting at those ranges. I have larger rifles for that....

Again thanks all.... Kind of fun to do all the research!

Ryan

Am I gaining anything by going 24" over 20" and am I loosing anything if I go 20"

You will drop about 25-30 fps for each inch you cut off the barrel. So a 20" barrel would drop your velocity about 100-150fps. So a 24" barrel with give you 50-100 yrds additionl range. I would go with a 24", although the 20" is nice for shooting off-hand and keeps the weight down.

I love the .308, Other cartridges offer ballistic advantages, but I enjoy the challenge of the .308. You have to be more precise with both you elevation and wind adjustments to get good hits at extended range. Adding a .308 will make you a better marksman with all your guns :)

If you are going to just shoot paper and steel then weight means nothing and the extra barrel length gives you more velocity and greater range. For what you want a 28 inch barrel would be great. I find it hard to believe any good barrel maker does not offer a 1-11 twist. As was mentioned the reamer is important.

With a 28 inch barrel on a 40X, a lot of paper has been punched at 1K and a lot of animals have fallen.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBxS2BE2MOc&list=UUgYpXTM8EypQRgbUh-rhgVg&index=75&feature=plcp]F-class - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EqfRkI7tUI&list=UUgYpXTM8EypQRgbUh-rhgVg&index=74&feature=plcp]F-class --- What Happened???? - YouTube[/ame]

Phil09.jpg

auodad2.jpg

I guess that I should have added that Shillen doesnt offer a 1/11 twist.... that I saw.... guess I have some more research to do yet.... Actually this part of building a rifle is a blast! Endless possibilities!

thanks again for all the input!

Ryan

The 168's will be good to 800 with the SMK. Past 800 you need to go to a VLD style 168 or go to the 175SMK for 1000+. The 185's would be a good round to run to 1000 with for steel and paper. The 175 will be a good all around bullet, unless you go to the 155 Palma, Scenar, A-max, Berger VLD, or 155.5 full bore.

Tank

I would go 1 in 10 worked well for my m1A and 40 x shoot every thing sierra made from 155 to 190 out of them. my 2 fav bullets were the 155 Palma and the 175 smk for long range