Help with info on dialing in MOA 2nd focal plane scope

Newbweatherby

Well it's taken me forever and a day but I finally have my 1st and probably last 1/2 long range set up .After my Remington 700 classic in 300 Weatherby gave up the ghost I pinched Penneys ,sold my children's inheritance (lol) and got a new Remington 700 sps stainless in .300 rum free floated the Tupperware stock installed a Leopold 20moa Mark 4 Steel rings drilled and tapped the 6-48tpi with #8/40 screws and a pair of high Leoupld steel quick disconnect rings and I know Iam going to get a bunch of flak about my scope choice.I mounted a Minox zx5i5x25x56 second focal plane scope.I love the optics eye relief and huge field of view but it has a second focal plane reticle and is set for 1/8"moa @100yards .I can use the built in bdc ,which according to Minox tech says the reticle is set up for 300 win mag 180gr ,@2900fps This works for me with the hold over on steel rams at 500 meters ,but eventually I would like to stretch out from 500 meters to 700,and incremental in 100 meters steps out to 1000 meters,can I do this with this scope?If so any links so I can read up on it?To be honest I won't be able to afford another scope and Iam more of a hunter 1st and secondly getting into long range target shooting.Also Muzzle brake is going on this month,I have done a lot of medium range shooting by today' standards out 600 yards on game with my Weatherby but it was only with Kentucky windage usually setting up 3"@100 yards and taping a drop chart on my riffle butt for holdover but nowdays .Long range shooting has become so precision oriented, and i would like to learn how dial in my scope for no holdover is this possible with my setup?

Short answer to your question is yes, you can absolutely dial your scope, assuming it has the appropriate type dials / turrets, to make adjustments while shooting at various distances. However, I know nothing about your particular scope.
It would be a good idea to get a ballistic app on your phone if you are wanting to start shooting longer distances. A good laser range finder would be a needed piece of gear also.
You will need to input several pieces of data into the app for it to be really useful, such as real mv, range, bullet info, elevation above sea level, wind info, etc, etc.
That should get you started.
Next is practice time and verify your real 'dope' matches the ballistic app info.

Good Luck

I am far from an expert, but....I think it is possible by adjusting your power setting on your scope and your zero. The example I have is my 300 RUM has a leupold vari x 6, 3-18x44. I bought it for hunting but like you I enjoy dabbling in the long range. The scope has a varmint reticle in it(bdc). So Leupold says that calibers like 308, 30-06 etc, you should zero at 200 and put the power ring to 14 and the scope should line up at 200,300,400,500 but for 300rum and calibers that shoot around 3400 fps zero at 300 and the lines should line up at 300,400,500 and 600 but the power setting needs to be at 18 or maxed out. ( I havent shot it yet to confirm though, thats just what the book says. I just got that scope).
I dont know if you can figure yours out like that but your manufacturer should be able too. You need to know where the lines are in the scope, how far apart they are etc, thats all on the manufacturer.
The problem with 1/8 clicks is you will probably run out of clicks before getting to 1000 if you dont zero at 300. I dont know forsure, im sure there are guys here with a better idea. Hopefully they can correct my misguided info if I am wrong.
A call to your manufacturer might be the best first step.

1/8th clicks wont make any difference, just 8 clicks instead of 4 per minit. But same amount of adjustment in the scope. If you use the dial in minits it works the same.
Also remember most is theory and not necessarily reality. Theory dosent always work as expected, which is why serious 1000 yd target shooters who use the same range all the time, never shoot at the record target without shooting sighter shots first.

okay i guess I'll get to work I do have a Bushnell arc1300 range finder I know most serious shooters use first focal plane mil dot

I wouldn't necessarily say that. With the choices available today serious shooters are having different opinions. Might just be some are better choices for certain things, or at least in some opinions they are.
You will hear arguments about it, and especially about the need to have the dial and the reticle matching. Fact is though ive not known
any l/r hunters buying a new scope just because of that. If you are buying a scope fine, but otherwise use what you have and don't worry over it.
Make up a chart based on the load data you have, and then just go shoot.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. With the choices available today serious shooters are having different opinions. Might just be some are better choices for certain things, or at least in some opinions they are.
You will hear arguments about it, and especially about the need to have the dial and the reticle matching. Fact is though ive not known
any l/r hunters buying a new scope just because of that. If you are buying a scope fine, but otherwise use what you have and don't worry over it.
Make up a chart based on the load data you have, and then just go shoot.
no I cannot afford a new scope for sure and i spent way too much on my ssi fixed income than I should have ,and i like the scope, just everyone now says I need a first focal plane mil ot system

Your equipment is fine if simply not optimized for some of what you want, it's still perfectly capable.

What you need is education. 5 days of training is all it takes. There are many trainers out there that I know provide what you need: Me (ballisticxlr.com), Charlie Mike Precision, Rex Defense, and Primal Rights are trainers that I know have a curriculum that will be helpful to you.

If you would like a BDC specific Range-Size-Magnification translation table hit me up at [email protected] and I can help you out on the cheap.

Last edited:
Some of the best long range shooter one here run second focal optics, I personally like them better for hunting than first focal so the focal plane has nothing to do with your ability to shoot the distances you want.

Some of the best long range shooter one here run second focal optics, I personally like them better for hunting than first focal so the focal plane has nothing to do with your ability to shoot the distances you want.
SFP scopes allow for a finer crosshair that occludes less of the target. FFP are great for cases where you're going to be using hold-off/hold-over for fire corrections or if you're going to use your reticle for ranging. If you only plan to use the reticle as a crosshair and you'll dial your drift/drop then SFP are sparkly options.

I use FFP in tactical matches or when shooting at meat (except for squirrels, SFP only for them) or where a hit anywhere on the target gets the point. I use SFP in metallic silhouette or F-Class matches or anywhere that counts X's. Simple rule, works well.

Well it could also be argued that 1/8 min clicks might help as far as Xs are concerned also. Which is why some diciplines of target shooters have preferred them.
I would argue that theres no need to do anything but go do it.
I would advise having a buddy go along to act as a spotter when you shoot if at all possible. But otherwise put some clay birds on a dirt bank somewhere and just shoot at them. Milk jugs filled with water work also, but with clay birds you wont need to retrieve them.
Don't try to complicate what isn't really complicated. Don't worry about groups either, just try to hit the clay birds and have some fun.
If you travel to the 1000 yd club range near Williamsport, do you know what you will see on the dirt berms near the target frames? Well if you guessed clay birds for sighter shots you would be correct.

thanks and i did watch a sniper 101 YouTube video where he discounted all moa second focal plane scopes for serious long range shooting,I did rum into a ex marine sniper at the range who had a savage in 338.lapua and he used a viper second focal plane moa reticle because thatsbkust he was used to shooting btw I like my glass more nut that neither here nor there. Just confused,i dont plan on competing in F class 1000 yard matches mostly as a hunter with God illing one 1st and last elk hunt as my health due to type 1 diabetes is taking a goal on my health and i do have a Arizona Champ permit ,but I know I won' be able to chase and get closer to game as I used to.I am grateful for your input and help

Second focal plane is fine. My nsx is second focal plane and it rocks my socks.

Looks like that Minox scope only has 26 moa total internal adjustment. +13 -13. Your max range will be limited no doubt about it, because the sub tensions will change poi at range with magnification change.

This means dialing is your only option in a hunting situation unless you are always at max power when shooting. You may find a combination of max power and sighting off a subtention along wth dialing gets the precision you need for shots to 800+, but my gut tells me you will probably find your practical limit somewhere at 600ish. If you replace those rings with Burris signature z rings you may gain additional internal adjustment up, and possibly a little left right if you had issues centering the sight in.

The second focal optic can be accurate at any power you just have to know what your substentions are at a given power, it can actually be a strength for holding of if you understand your optic. For example if your optic has 1 moa marks at 22x then dialed back to 11x and your marks are now at a 2 moa value. You just have to learn how to leverage the strength of the focal plane your running.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.