Help with a 243

coyotejosh

Hello All. I have just had a Remington Model Seven rebarreled with a Douglas 24" 1X9 twist chambered in .243 WIN #3 contour. Just wondering if anyone has a similar build. Reason I am asking if anyone has a good load worked up for it. Just tring to here some other loads form other people. I haven't even broke it in yet that is coming this weekend. The gun looks great.

While I do not own a rifle of those specs, I do have a load that shoots remarkably well in three 243's I have tried it in.......a Ruger Compact, a factory Remmy Model 7, and a T/C Encore. If conditions are ideal to shoot in I am talking 100 yard groups less than 1/4 MOA.

It is 43 grains of IMR4831 (work up to) and 85 grain Sierra Gameking BTHP's. Give that combo a try and see how it does in yours.

I have a 24" Douglas 8 twist... I got the 8 so I could shoot the 107 grain Matchkings... Hornady says the 9 twist will shoot their 105 AMAX's in most rifles... so with the 105's you might be able to use the Retumbo load I developed for my rifle...

My rifle is a Remington 788, and the barrel is the 24" light target as I recall... it's not heavy heavy, but it's heavier than a sporter barrel... all else I did to this rifle was I bedded the action and floated the barrel... no receiver work was done at all.

1062yds.jpg
as the target says, 48.5 grains Retumbo with 105 AMAX's... use magnum primers, they do make an ES improvement.

107SMK600yds.jpg
With the 107 SMK's, this is a 600 yard 3 shot group (don't wear your barrel out proving groups... if the first 3 land tight, try 3 more at another distance... it'll all prove out soon enough. The 25 shot aggregate mantra must be being propagated by barrel makers). :eek:

The Douglas barrel is a good choice, and as good as anything out there if you ask me... better than most, actually. The glitterati sometimes put Douglas down, not "fi-fi the poodle" enough for them I guess. But they work, and work well... :)

And with 4831, a slower but still accurate 105 AMAX recipe... see target for load info.
105AMAXat340yards.jpg

I get 3000 (just over) fps with the Retumbo loads, and just under 2900 fps with the 4831 load.

Good luck with the new build...

Dan

Thanks guys that will darn sure be a help one question what was your C.O.L. with the A-MAX bullets and the 85 grn seirras.

I use 2.850 for the COAL... just at my rifle's mag length. Then I adjust in or out in .005" increments a couple stages both ways to find the best length.

I cant help but to keep looking at the groups that you shot I myself would love to build off of a 788 but where can you find them everyone around here hold on to them hardcore.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.