22-243 help

combatcurt

Hey guys, I need a little help with some load data. Im shooting a 22-243 Win. Im looking for anything for a 55 gr FB polymer tipped Nosler Vrmageddon. The following powders that I have/found are: IMR 4320, IMR 3031, IMR 4064, H4350, H1000, RETUMBO, and 7828ssc. My barrel is a 5 groove 28" Benchmark 1:9 twist. I shoot the 69 gr SMK's with great success (.18-.2") Haven't crony'd anything yet. The 55 gr noslers are the only varmint bullet I could find. Ultimately I would like to shoot the 60-70 gr A MAX so any info for those would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

Hey guys, I need a little help with some load data. Im shooting a 22-243 Win. Im looking for anything for a 55 gr FB polymer tipped Nosler Vrmageddon. The following powders that I have/found are: IMR 4320, IMR 3031, IMR 4064, H4350, H1000, RETUMBO, and 7828ssc. My barrel is a 5 groove 28" Benchmark 1:9 twist. I shoot the 69 gr SMK's with great success (.18-.2") Haven't crony'd anything yet. The 55 gr noslers are the only varmint bullet I could find. Ultimately I would like to shoot the 60-70 gr A MAX so any info for those would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

Wow. If that ain't load shopping I don't know what is. This was my OP and I just realized it. Anyway, what I really need help with is with determining what is a safe start point for these 55gr bullets? When down sizing in bullet weight, and limited to the use of the same powder used on the bigger bullets, what is the safest way to determine your powder charge?

Most of my loading manuals are in storage so I have no suggestions save one; forget light and even 'normal" for caliber bullet weights or you'll get no real benefit from all those cubic inches. Your case ia significanly "over bore capacity" for any but very slow powders to achieve what the big case has to offer and that dictates heavy bullets. And, if you don't allow the barrel to cool well between shots, it won't last long.

I shoot a 22-6mm (aka 224 TTH) with an 8-twist tube - similar case capacity to your round. My best luck has been with 75 Amax and 77 Sierras. I haven't tried anything lighter than 60 grains yet - I have a 22-250 that shoots the lighter stuff lights out, and this round has enough horsepower to handle much heavier.

Based on my experience, you'll want to forego medium burn rate powders and concentrate on the slow numbers. My best loads were with RL22 and H4831SC with the 77 gr Sierra.

The hot 22s will typically tear apart lightly constructed bullets, especially with fast twist barrels, so you'll need to stick with stouter bullets if you're going to use the light weights. It's pretty funny when you realize that you missed the target because the little puff out there part way to the target board is your bullet disintegrating :D

Have fun!

Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.