need starting help with new 243 loadings

gregw83

I was planning on using IMR 4064 for my new 243 with 70gr blitzkings as my new varmint load. I can't seem to find 4064, but I can find H380, which I have heard is a good powder for the 243 for varmint loads. My question is, do I need a magnum primer? I've heard CCI primers burn hotter than fed, rem, and win primers, would that be enough? Logic is telling me that if I'm going to seat the bullets about .010 off the lands, I should knock a bit off what is listed as the max load. If I use mag primers, I would imagine, it's a safe bet to knock a little bit more off of the listed max.

IMR 4064 is coming back on the shelves. One sporting goods store I visited in central Ohio had 2 eight pounders on the shelf in addition to some one pounders.

In the 243 Winchester you don't need magnum primers for either H380 or for IMR 4064.

I've found magnum primers to be equivalent to 1 to 1.5 grains of powder. You should not, however, ever start a load at the listed maximum. You need to start at the lower range and work up and let your gun tell you what the optimum load is.

Greg- i would use lapau brass, 210m or br-2 primers and either varget or I4064 to start with. It is a target rifle it may and hopefully willl shoot everything good to real good. Mag primers will rasie pressures and may increase groups size.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.