243 Help

Ksmirk

Hey guys it's been awhile since I've stopped in but I found my way back, I have a question for you guys, I have a 243 build that I'm almost done with and the loading is about to start! while I've been loading for a long time this time I'm stepping into new water on this one! (VLD bullets) it's a 243 that I'll be shooting mainly the 105gr. A-Max and possibly the 114gr. DTAC bullets if they will stabilize in my 1-8 twist barrel, this rifle will not be for hunting unless you consider prairie dogs and iron maidens hunting. I've done some searches for powders and loads for the heavier bullets and have found a couple (Nothing on the DTAC bullets) but I'd like to put this question out there, are any of you guys shooting the heavies from the 243 and if so what powder and loads are you having luck with? guys some help here would be great and I'm even open to opinions! in advance guys thanks! Later,

Kirk

I'm using retumbo and wwmrp all though the ww is discontuned.
the retumbo is getting me over the 3000 range with the 105's and 107's..

Could you fella's be so kind as to PM me your loads?

Retumbo huh? I'm using RL-15 in my 17 Rem, 223, and 308 with good luck so far it just takes more than they are stating in the manual thought! Thanks for the imput just looking for a little info due to this living on a dang budget thing and can't do it the old fashion way of trial and error, there goes the fun part of a new rifle I guess. Thanks againand later,

Kirk

I was able to do barrel break in and sight in yesterday on a Remington sps varmint in 243. I was using Imr 4064 with Laqua brass, cci 200 primers, and the Sierra 107 smk bullets. I was cleaning after every two shots, at 16 rounds I started watching for groups. I had sights adjusted at 20 and was satisfied with it at 21. First group was a three shot group at 100 yards and got a .201 group that needed adjusted to the left a quarter inch. Made the adjustment left and fired a 5 shot group at .271. I will shot to day to see how fast the round is going. For a factory gun with only a trigger job I think I will really like this little rifle. Rifle has the factory 1-9 1/8 twist and I was worried that the smk's would not shoot out of it.

I'm using retumbo and wwmrp all though the ww is discontuned.
the retumbo is getting me over the 3000 range with the 105's and 107's..
Yup, I'm loading Retumbo too, in my daughter's 24" 1:7.5 Schneider with 105 Scenars. No problem getting 2,975 at a grain or two below ejector marks with excellent accuracy.

Last edited:
Well I got her done for the most part except for the coating rolled a few rounds and to the range to see what happens, I loaded from 46.5 up to 49.0gr of Retumbo but I didn't have a chance to get the COL for the rifle so I just loaded them to 2.760" to get an idea 27.5 turned in a group of .375 the others well they all stayed around .500 so I may like this rifle! I didn't have the chrony so I don't have a clue as to how fast they were getting there but I did get the COL for the rifle yesterday and rolled a few more rounds but have yet to get out to fire them yet! I set the .005 off the lands and loaded the same powder charges to see what happens. I'm going to the folks this weekend and the little bro has his loader set up so I'll get to play a little more when I get down there. I'll tell you what I don't see getting more than 49.0gr. of powder in that case it's freakin' full! I'll give it a go this weekend maybe one of those dang deer will step out while I'm outside and we'll see what one of the A-Maxes will do. Fella's thanks for you imput and help! Later,

Kirk

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.