243 help

Alberta Guide, I found IMR 4350 and 87 gr. V-Max Hornady bullets Win. LR Standard primers, Is what my 243 loves, My rifle likes H4831 with 100 105 bullets. Happy Loading.

I believe the 87gr v max is a varmint bullet only. I started this thread looking for help with the 62gr VG but with all the suggestions and help I've discovered several excellent loads. I've worked up a great dual purpose round using the hornady 87 gr SP (whitetail and coyote) and was happy with one load for two rifles and two "targets" but like all reloaders I can't leave well enough alone. As soon as I find some Vmax's I'll be trying them. My wife loves to hunt but would rather not deal with multiple loads, sighting in remembering holdovers etc. she just wants to load her rifle and shoot/hunt. I'm the accuracy/shooting nut. She's always asking "isn't that good enough?" LOL it's never "good enough"!

Hi I had the same problem with a 7mmwsm. I tried everything. Changed the stock to a brown precision stock The stringing problem went away. I do not use 7828 in small cases. this was mentioned by some the gentlemen above. I have 5 243"s and 244 cals. I have found that 210M primers, RL- 15 and H-414 r the best powders for the 243's. The 6mm's 4064, 4320 and 4831sc work best. I prefer ball powders, these powders measure very evenly. Thank Ugun)I use the 77gr. Lapua for all my 6mm's. This bullet is very very accurate.

I really like the 243 caliber for small hunters and for just all around plinking fun for myself. I have two good loads for mine right now. One for yotes and one for deer

Yote load: 55 grn Nosler Balistic tip, 43.5 grains of Varget. Shoots 3/4" at worst at around 3700 fps. *note I have not shot a coyote with this load yet, but the foxes I have shot with it, I definitely could not save the fur, one fox was almost blown completely in two. But I don't use this gun for fur hunting. I use it for predator management thru the summer. It's just unfortunate that every time I take this gun I never see a yote,

Deer load: 95 grn Nosler ballistic tip, 35.1 grains of Varget. Shoots 1/2 - 5/8 MOA all the way to 500 yards. Running 2886fps, leaves a golfball sized exit hole on lung shots.

I am just starting testing with the Berger 95 grain Classic Hunter, which is the hybrid. When I tried VLD bullets I had no luck at all. This hybrid however, my early testing here is showing great promise. It looks like with 44.5 grains of H4831sc is going to get me really close to 3000 fps and 1/4 MOA. I'll post up some data on it after I get the final load worked up.

Looking for suggestions for a minor problem with my 243 loads. I worked up a load using 7828SSC and a 62gr varmint grenade looks like I have good potential abut it groups oddly 2 rounds touching then two more touching approx .75-1 moa high and left. Is it a bedding problem or something else? Can't be the scope because I've changed scopes twice.
Albertaguide,
Are these the first 3 shots out of a cold/ clean barrel ?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts