Help with my Remington 788 243

william101

Wondering if anyone of Gentlemen can give me your opinion on where to go with my next option.
I started out with brand new Winchester brass, box of Sierra 100 grain Spitzer Boat-tail Gamekings, IMR 4350 powder and federal match large rifle primers. I started low and tried 4 different loadings with roounds seated .01 off the lands and got crummy results 1"3/4 groups at best, tried the same powder and seated the bullets this time at Sierra's recommended 2.650 which would put me around .02-.03 off the lands and got more crappy groups.
So while I was getting my very first loads on paper I had used some leftover federal premium 85 grain Barns TSX rounds my brother in law gave me and they of course shot great around a 3/8-1/2 group so I figured I should buy a box of the barrnes bullet 85 grain TSX bullets and try reloading .them at the same length as the factory ones that shot great during sight in. Does this sound ok? And if I do should I continue to try the IMR 4350 .with them or try another powder? What would be your guys suggestions on a good powder? sorry for the loooong winded questions! thanks for any help.

I had a 788 .243 carbine for awhile before I sold it to a relative.....it shot 85 gr Barnes TSX's very well over Varget powder.....it was my all around coyote to deer load. I would use the same COL as the federal ammo, and try match velocity and see what happens.....I mainly ran Varget in my 243.... the 4350 got saved for my .260, but I can't imagine it wouldn't be a good powder to use.

I had a 788 .243 carbine for awhile before I sold it to a relative.....it shot 85 gr Barnes TSX's very well over Varget powder.....it was my all around coyote to deer load. I would use the same COL as the federal ammo, and try match velocity and see what happens.....I mainly ran Varget in my 243.... the 4350 got saved for my .260, but I can't imagine it wouldn't be a good powder to use.
Thanks Sir for your help, yeah thought for sure the 4350 would yield better results, my Tikka stainless lamnated 260 shoots 1/4" groups with that powder.
Maybe I'll try the Varget with then.

When you say match load do you mean listed "Accuracy Load" in manual? Thanks

No, Sorry.....I meant if the factory load shoots at 3200 fps, I would try to see if I can achieve the same velocity with whatever powder I chose..... Actually as I type this I realize my OCD would probably make me do a full load work up using the factory COL for a start point.

morning, due u have the short or long barrel. I've had
3 of these in 243. ugly, they will shoot. I shot the sierra
85gr. BTHP. and the 95gr. berger. 4831sc powder, fed.
210primer and Winchester brass. very accurate.
this action on the 788's has the fastest firing pin
to primer time of any action made. the action
reliable? no after time shooting parts start to break.
I have have 1 in 223AI. shoots match heads with
berger vld bullets. have to shoot as one shot because
of bullet length. justme gbot tum

Imr is great powder , yu said yu started low remember , very often I find my best loads 1grain or 1.5 gns from max , yes it's good to work up but that takes mor time , try seating at 2625,2615 2610 etc , sounds like yur bbls newish jump them sierras more 0.25/0.30 ,even mor Experiment ,,,,,Yes Barnes are great bullets that's a given but brake yur bbl in first , cause Barnes will copper foul yur bbl , mor trouble for a newbie shooter , unless you know how to use the strong copper cleaners , many great powder work wit the 243 , it's just like cooking lol , patience will reward you thks ps get a bore guide n 1piece cleaning rod.

morning, I do not remember stating info about starting
low on loading data. yes u should start low when starting
gathering info on certain powders and bullets. in
all calibers. as far as barnes bullets
I have started shooting barnes bullets
from the start of the barrel life to now. yes barnes bullets
do foul barrels. yes I will shoot barnes bullets for target and
hunting. I clean every 20 rounds. yes sometimes these
bullets can be a bear to find a accurate load. accuracy
always comes first. velocity comes second. with practice
both can b combined. from MY experience barnes bullets
need to b pushed very hard. justme gbot tum

referring to the 243 does this weapon have a long barrel
or short barrel. the bullets I mentioned can b shot
in both barrels, the powders and bullets can make
a difference in accuracy and velocity.

morning, 4320, 4062, 4832sc, RL15, H414, W760
and a few more. any of these powders will work
with variable bullets
justme gbot tum

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.