Help with 30-30 reloading and zero

jumpmasterkolo

Got some issues and don't know how to get out of this pickle.
I've got a nice 30-30 Winchester that I just added a Vortex scope to. So it's not zeroed.
I don't have any ammunition nor have I ever reloaded for it before so I haven't identified a load the rifle likes that I can knock out for my zero.
I've got the primers, brass, leverevolution powder and Hornady 160grn FTXs to make the ammunition. I have multiple recipes for making the ammo BUT I don't know where to start since once I get it zeroed(ish) I'm going to be running a ladder test with the powder.
I guess my question is, should I make ten rounds of a middle of the road load (middle of min and max grains of powder) to get the rifle on target and then start my ladder test?
Or is there a better (smarter) way to do this?
Thanks

my 94 works wonders with .5 less than the load on the bottle, win brass and a fed210. set it at the cannelure, so you can crimp. I just shot at 25yd to see where it was, adjusted, shot at 50, adjusted, shot 100,and fine tuned.
I never did a ladder test I just started .5 under the max and it worked perfect.

matt

my 94 works wonders with .5 less than the load on the bottle, win brass and a fed210. set it at the cannelure. I just shot at 25yd to see where it was, adjusted, shot at 50, adjusted, shot 100,and fine tuned.
I never did a ladder test I just started .5 under the max and it worked perfect.

matt
I hear ya but I've had bad luck starting out with hot loads. I went right below max in my 300 and was no where close to having a good group at 100yds when it was right on with factory ammo.
I had to back way off to find a load it liked. 🤪?

well I guess drop it down 3gr and go up by .5gr to find a good node. But I would still start at 25yd and work out. Hornday claimed 2400fps from a 24in tube with there factory ammo

from hodgdon website
GRS.VEL.(FT/S)PRESS.
32.02,22131,200 CUP

MAXIMUM LOADS

GRS.VEL.(FT/S)PRESS.
35.5C238937,500 CUP

I've been working with this very combo the last few weeks. My 336 likes 33 gr lever and opens up past that. 2190 fps out of the 20" tube. My newer 94 strung 33 gr vertically but likes 35 gr at 2320 fps. It groups well if cleaned every 25 rounds or so, after 30 it starts getting a bit erratic. Powder fouling, no copper. Very picky on how it's supported. The Marlin is less fickle on technique.

I've been working with this very combo the last few weeks. My 336 likes 33 gr lever and opens up past that. 2190 fps out of the 20" tube. My newer 94 strung 33 gr vertically but likes 35 gr at 2320 fps. It groups well if cleaned every 25 rounds or so, after 30 it starts getting a bit erratic. Powder fouling, no copper. Very picky on how it's supported. The Marlin is less fickle on technique.
Thanks!

1616954417161.png
So what I think I'm hearing is start between 32.5 and 33 grains of Leverevolution at 25 yards and get the rifle zeroed/grouping on paper and then work my ladder test?

I normally use 90% of max for smaller cases or 93% of max for larger cases as a starting point from Hornady data, their charts can go way too far down on the bottom end. 33.3gr is 90%, so 30.0 gr would be fine if that where you wanted to start.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.