.30-.378wtby reloading

tnhunter211984

hello to everyone. I need help on bullet weight choice. i have narrowed my search down to even the NBT 15Ogr. or 165gr., scirocco in the same grain, or the berger 168gr. or 175gr... My rifle is a weatherby mk5 accumark in .30-.378wtby brand new. I live in tennessee and my main hunting is whitetail but i do go once a year on a mule deer hunt. Yea its a lil over kill but its one i've always wanted. need some input fellows.. thank you

hello to everyone. I need help on bullet weight choice. i have narrowed my search down to even the NBT 15Ogr. or 165gr., scirocco in the same grain, or the berger 168gr. or 175gr... My rifle is a weatherby mk5 accumark in .30-.378wtby brand new. I live in tennessee and my main hunting is whitetail but i do go once a year on a mule deer hunt. Yea its a lil over kill but its one i've always wanted. need some input fellows.. thank you
With my 300rum I start at 180 grain and go heavier. I've been working with 225 hornady bt match lately and they show some serious promise. I've got 100 each of the 180 and 190 hornady interlocks loaded also. I've played with lighter bullets and they don't really perform well. Either the accuracy is crap, or they aren't faster than the heavier pills, usually both.

If you really want to go that light, I would check out the lead free loads (Barnes, Hornady & Nosler). If you really want to have them coming out of the barrel at screaming velocities with still reasonable BC's, take a look at the GS Customs or the Cutting Edge bullets. Most of these lead free bullets will hold together and perform excellent at the higher velocities.

Keep in mind that to fully take advantage of the 30-378, you may want to look at some heavier bullets with high B.C.s. If you're looking at 600 yards or less, and wind isn't usually a problem, then by all means, stick with the light bullets if that floats your boat. Play around with JBM Ballistic calculator (wind drift version) and see what fit's your application best.

To answer your specific question, I have no idea how those bullets will perform at the extreme velocities you are looking at with such a light grain. Just make sure they are rated for what you will be pushing them if you stick to one of the two.

thank ya'lls for ya'lls input. i am getting bad feed back from friends of mine because they say i'm over gunned but like i told them its a gun i've always wanted. on another post a guy stated that i was trying to show off wanting to shoot a low grain bullet to get high velocity and thats not it. i spent that much money on this gun and i just want it to be the best it can. yea don't get me wrong i'm a spead freak but i do know my barrel life won't be as long with higher speeds. a friend of mine told me to look at the barnes ttsx 168gr. or the scirocco 165gr. any advise

When I first bought my 30-378 it was setup for the 165 gr Barnes TSX. I shot a couple whitetails and a muley in my first season and they all dropped on the spot, even when staying off the shoulder. 99% weight retention & a huge wound channel.

I've since switched to the heavies as I've been looking less wind drift for long range applications.

If you really want to go that light, I would check out the lead free loads (Barnes, Hornady & Nosler). If you really want to have them coming out of the barrel at screaming velocities with still reasonable BC's, take a look at the GS Customs or the Cutting Edge bullets. Most of these lead free bullets will hold together and perform excellent at the higher velocities.

Keep in mind that to fully take advantage of the 30-378, you may want to look at some heavier bullets with high B.C.s. If you're looking at 600 yards or less, and wind isn't usually a problem, then by all means, stick with the light bullets if that floats your boat. Play around with JBM Ballistic calculator (wind drift version) and see what fit's your application best.

To answer your specific question, I have no idea how those bullets will perform at the extreme velocities you are looking at with such a light grain. Just make sure they are rated for what you will be pushing them if you stick to one of the two.

looked ath the GS Custom and the Cutting edge bullets. which would be best in ur thought in the 165gr cutting edge or the 160gr. gs custom? or stick with the barnes 168gr. ttsx or the 165 scirocco

I haven't really looked into them much for those weights. If you don't mind spending the money for the custom bullets, the Cutting Edge bullets would be easier to get. It takes a little time (I'm thinking a month or two) for the GS Customs to be shipped from Africa. I just received 110 grain GS Customs for my 6.5x280 AI. I hope to test them in the next few months. The cutting edge bullet has my interest for the .338 caliber. I don't have any advice to add for the .308 calibers. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the three you mentioned. It is all a matter of preference and what fits your bill / ballistic expectations. If you do go with the custom bullets, be sure you're looking at the hunting versions and not just the target ones.

which GS Custom are u shooting the HV Hollow point or just regular hollow point? what are the difference in the gs custom and the barnes ttsx/tsx? whats gs email address? couldn't find it on there page

I tried the GS bullets, very expensive ,didnt do so well with accuracy , i also tried Sierra,Hornady but settled on Berger 210 grn match for hunting the oal was 3.9 in used 2218 (50BMG) I had the action bedded and trigger done and it shot 5 x 3 shot gps averaged .59" So i am sticking with he Bergers.

FWIW I would take 98 Grains of H1000 and put a Berger 210 VLD Hunting bullet and go hunting. No reason to use anything lighter with that much case capacity.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.