Help Wanted: Scoping my new 280AI

I really like my VX5 HD in 3x15x56 on a Cooper 280AI. It has a fire dot duplex so I have to dial up when shooting longer distance.

I've been looking at the Trijicon accupower 3-9.
It looks pretty solid and should check your boxes, has anyone used one?

I really like my VX3i 3.5-10x40 with BDC reticle for my 6.5x55 Fieldcraft. Sighted in correctly I m good to 500 yds , no turrent turning. I can cut power to 8x and it hits on at 600 yards. (Use StrelokPro Pro or similar software). Beyond that there's so many variables with wind, etc that for shooting an animal I would say close the distance.

The 4.5-14x40 version would offer more power if you prefer in a same weight package. ( approx 13 ounces)

I know there's higher priced glass with a little more light gathering and features but the price vs options definitely starts into diminishing returns.

Good luck on your choice.

Another vote for the VX5 3x15x44mm. I have (3) Kimber Montana's (two 84M's, one 84l in 280 A.I.) they all wear this scope. Very clear & bright. Duplex reticle on these is perfect for my eyesight - not too fine & not too thick. One of mine has the Duplex Firedot, which to me makes it the ideal hunting scope. Still reasonably light & with 44mm objective it still sits close enough to receiver for cheek weld. Hard to beat for the price.

VX 5 HD 3-15x44 19 ounces. Heck of a scope for $8-900. You can cash in the FREE CDS dial if you routinely hunt the same elevation etc. 400 yards spin the dial to 4 and shoot....
I just ordered one of these for my 280AI with the Impact-29 Reticle.

Another vote for the VX5 3x15x44mm. I have (3) Kimber Montana's (two 84M's, one 84l in 280 A.I.) they all wear this scope. Very clear & bright. Duplex reticle on these is perfect for my eyesight - not too fine & not too thick. One of mine has the Duplex Firedot, which to me makes it the ideal hunting scope. Still reasonably light & with 44mm objective it still sits close enough to receiver for cheek weld. Hard to beat for the price.
I just ordered one with the Impact -29 Reticle

What rings and mounts?

I use Talley aluminum rings. They have worked well for me. If you prefer steel, I have used Warne & Leupold dual dovetail.

I'm a great believer in high-tech for medical care, but allow me to be simplistic here. I just bought a Kimber SubAlpine in 280AI for a mountain hunt. I want great light-gathering and optical resolution, dependability, in a light weight scope (under 20 oz.?). Something in the 2.5-10x, or 3-12x range will suffice. Range dialing is not my priority. A 'Ballistic-Plex, or MOA reticle will be fine for intended purposes. I have learned SO VERY much from the experience of others on this forum, that I hope someone will relate to my goals here. No 'bells and whistles' needed, weight and optics are paramount, as is quality and dependability in a hunting scope for a very wild place......
Thanks
Before you do anything...
Vortex is about to release a new Razor LH with exposed turrets and updated reticles.
It'll be a 30mm tube and weigh under 20 oz.
Unlike the Vx5 that I had I'm hoping they track

Before you do anything...
Vortex is about to release a new Razor LH with exposed turrets and updated reticles.
It'll be a 30mm tube and weigh under 20 oz.
Unlike the Vx5 that I had I'm hoping they track
I've seen way too many track to believe you got anything other than a fluke if you're didnt. The VX5 and 6 line are solid. Unlike the Vortex I have had 😉

I've seen way too many track to believe you got anything other than a fluke if you're didnt. The VX5 and 6 line are solid. Unlike the Vortex I have had 😉
Maybe but it seems a lot of others have had the same experience for it to be a fluke..
Mine failed a tall target test miserably, it wasn't even close. It sucked because I really liked it otherwise
I also had a vx6 that had tracking issues as well, it was the first scope where I experienced this.
I about drove myself crazy trying to figure out why my balistics never matched.
The only Leupolds I trust to dial are the Mk5's.
Doing a true tracking test can be eye opening.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts