Which scope for my new mountain rifle build???

What bad reviews have you read concerning the Zeiss scopes??

I haven't read anything bad about the zeiss other than not having much elevation after the zero stop is set. Does the zeiss hd5 3-15x42 have the correct turret system for dialing without removing the cap? Also does it have zero stop? Thanks

Just heard this week from someone else (this forum i think) that the Zeiss 3-15x required removing the caps. If you look closely, all the photos they have with the target turrets that don't seem to need caps are of the 5-25x version. I don't need that much magnification.

I'm in a similar boat as you and currently my thoughts are Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 BT with 4w reticle. Also thinking a about the Nightforce 2-10x42mm an still trying to figure out if S&B has an option on a hunting scope to get a target style turret that does not require removal of cap.

I have the Viper PST 4-16x50 SFP and the 2.5-10x44. Both are excellent scopes. I have one of the earlier 4-16's and the glass is every bit as good as all the Leupold VX3's I sold. No issues at all with it. Going to pick up the new HS-T in MOA when it comes out.

I have the Viper PST 4-16x50 SFP and the 2.5-10x44. Both are excellent scopes. I have one of the earlier 4-16's and the glass is every bit as good as all the Leupold VX3's I sold. No issues at all with it. Going to pick up the new HS-T in MOA when it comes out.

Like I said before the 4-16 sfp PST is what I want the most simply due to features and price. However Im scared as heck due to all the bad reviews Ive read on the 4-16. The 4-16 is the only one that seems to have the bad reviews. Is seems the 4-16 had subpar glass compared to the other PST's. Like I said if I was convinced this problem was fixed, I would buy the 4-16 PST in a heart beat. I might just roll the dice and do it anyways.

Just heard this week from someone else (this forum i think) that the Zeiss 3-15x required removing the caps. If you look closely, all the photos they have with the target turrets that don't seem to need caps are of the 5-25x version. I don't need that much magnification.

I'm in a similar boat as you and currently my thoughts are Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 BT with 4w reticle. Also thinking a about the Nightforce 2-10x42mm an still trying to figure out if S&B has an option on a hunting scope to get a target style turret that does not require removal of cap.

I have the Conquests in 4.5-14 and 6.5-20 and BOTH have target turrets. Both have 50mm objectives

Like I said before the 4-16 sfp PST is what I want the most simply due to features and price. However Im scared as heck due to all the bad reviews Ive read on the 4-16. The 4-16 is the only one that seems to have the bad reviews. Is seems the 4-16 had subpar glass compared to the other PST's. Like I said if I was convinced this problem was fixed, I would buy the 4-16 PST in a heart beat. I might just roll the dice and do it anyways.

I just went out shooting today with a buddy who only uses Leupold. He looked through my 4-16 PST and thought it looked every bit if not better then his Leupold. I'm not sure where you're reading all the bad reviews at. If it was on Sniper's Hide, take it with a grain of salt. I have a Nightforce too and the PST isn't as good as that but good enough for what I do with it.

I have a plain old 3-9x 40 mm Conquest and it is a fantastic scope. Now that you mention it, I should consider the 4.5-14x 50mm with target turrets.

Basic question on that scope. While it does not have a zero stop, there is such a thing as zeroing the scope so that the 0 marker on the turret is aligned with an index once you set your zero correct? so that you can tell how many clicks you have moved from your zero.

I realize you might get lost if you go past one full turn or forget if you went up or down but the basic target turret might be adequate for me and the old conquests are a good deal.

I have a plain old 3-9x 40 mm Conquest and it is a fantastic scope. Now that you mention it, I should consider the 4.5-14x 50mm with target turrets.

Basic question on that scope. While it does not have a zero stop, there is such a thing as zeroing the scope so that the 0 marker on the turret is aligned with an index once you set your zero correct? so that you can tell how many clicks you have moved from your zero.

I realize you might get lost if you go past one full turn or forget if you went up or down but the basic target turret might be adequate for me and the old conquests are a good deal.

Yes, you can reset the turrets back to zero. The regular Conquests require a thin flathead screwdriver.

I like the original Conquests, they're high quality glass.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.