Help Wanted: Scoping my new 280AI

doubledoc

I'm a great believer in high-tech for medical care, but allow me to be simplistic here. I just bought a Kimber SubAlpine in 280AI for a mountain hunt. I want great light-gathering and optical resolution, dependability, in a light weight scope (under 20 oz.?). Something in the 2.5-10x, or 3-12x range will suffice. Range dialing is not my priority. A 'Ballistic-Plex, or MOA reticle will be fine for intended purposes. I have learned SO VERY much from the experience of others on this forum, that I hope someone will relate to my goals here. No 'bells and whistles' needed, weight and optics are paramount, as is quality and dependability in a hunting scope for a very wild place......
Thanks

What's your budget?
Hoping to spend under 1200....
VX 5 HD 3-15x44 19 ounces. Heck of a scope for $8-900. You can cash in the FREE CDS dial if you routinely hunt the same elevation etc. 400 yards spin the dial to 4 and shoot....
Was considering the VX 5 HD 2.5-10 with Firedot. Will look here also. Thanks...

Vortex Razor HDLH 3-15x has great reticle, and has parallax adjustment. Optics are very clear and gather light well. Price point is under $800 if you shop

I have a few vx-5 3-15*44, a shv nightforce and a few different vxr fire dots. I have the exact same rifle (s) My bombproof best balanced is the 3-10SHV with the lighted duplex. It isn't as simple as Leupolds motion activated system but the scope fits the rifle like it was made for it. The crosshairs are quite fine good for fine shooting not so great in the timber so I actually sold one setup to my nephew and bought the lighted version. Son's adirondack has a 2-7 firedot fits that rifle perfectly.

I can send you some photos if that would help and have some extra 30mm talleys for the Kimber if interested. PM me...

Last edited:
I have a few vx-5 3-15*44, a shv nightforce and a few different vxr fire dots. I have the exact same rifle (s) My bombproof best balanced is the 3-10SHV with the lighted duplex. It isn't as simple as Leupolds motion activated system but the scope fits the rifle like it was made for it. The crosshairs are quite fine good for fine shooting not so great in the timber so I actually sold one setup to my nephew and bought the lighted version. Son's adirondack has a 2-7 firedot fits that rifle perfectly.

I can send you some photos if that would help and have some extra 30mm valley's for the Kimber if interested. PM me...
That would be great! The scope has to fit the rifle and rifle's purpose no matter how good it is. I'm familiar with the Leupold Firedot but not the SHV or VXR so much. Your opinion is valuable here...

Just put a vx6hd 2-12 on a sub alpine. I have the vx5hd 2-10 on another excellent set up. the 3-15 is probably worth it. I have a shv 3-10 and small nxs 2.5-10 and wouldn't swap them around on these Kimbers.

Hmm

vortex viper Hs 2.5-10x44

leupold VX3-I 3.5-10x40 B&C reticle

Bushnell nitro 2.5-10x44 or 2-12x44 with deploy mil or MOA ffp reticle

I chose the Bushnell...initial optical testing is positive and lighting sucked that day!

Don't overlook Zeiss. Just like high end bino's or spotting scopes, it's all about the glass and coatings for long range clarity and contrast. The V4 line is a little cost effective, but the V6 line truly shines for the best light transmission. Keep in mind that Zeiss is a major supplier of glass for a number of other manufacturers. Only issue I have is the lack of a FFP option, but I hear that's being worked on!

Don't overlook Zeiss. Just like high end bino's or spotting scopes, it's all about the glass and coatings for long range clarity and contrast. The V4 line is a little cost effective, but the V6 line truly shines for the best light transmission. Keep in mind that Zeiss is a major supplier of glass for a number of other manufacturers. Only issue I have is the lack of a FFP option, but I hear that's being worked on!
I had an older, I believe V3 3-9x. Although it was an excellent scope, it did not appear better than my VXIII 2.5-8 and was considerably heavier. I have not examined a V4 line scope, and would like to. I've used MANY Zeiss microscopes in many settings, and they are tops there..

Last edited:
Zeiss Conquest...3 or 3.5-10x50...plex ..non-illum....excellent condition/outstanding glass...not enough mag for these old eyes anymore...paid $700 for it maybe 12-15 yrs ago...sat in its box for 8-10 yrs...very reliable tracking...I've shot it out to 832 yds...really have no idea what's a fair price for both of us

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.