Help picking Binoculars

Looking to purchase some new binoculars for western hunting. I believe I have narrowed it down to 8x42, 10x42, or 10x50. Looking at Swarovsky, Leica, and other European glass. Not tied to a particular brand. Looking for something to wear in a chest harness and compliment my 85mm Razor spotter. I'm leaning toward the 10x42 as they are slightly smaller and lighter. I figure they could be used initially at a new spot and as I travel, even using on a tripod with a qd to quickly switch to the spotter. Is there a decided advantage to a larger objective or lower power given my stated usage.

Also in the Swarovsky line, is the upgrade to the NL Pure worth it? Have heard many prefer the SLC over the EL due to "rolling" around the edges when panning?

Thanks for any and all help.
I had the 10x50 EL and that is one nice piece of glass. Field flattening tech is nice, eye strain is gone, good color transmission. If I got another pair of Swaro it would either be EL or NL. SLC is not bad, but not my preference. I am running leica 3200 10x42 right now. Also good glass, great color, but you do get some fish eye and edge. The overall quality of the glass is very good but not quite as good to "me" as my swaro EL. The reason for the switch was to go to a ballastic bino with more range etc then swaro. Both of these companies have the head up their @ss when it comes to ballistic solvers and end users. It's a real shame.

I currently have Leica 10x42 rangefinding binos. I have had Zeiss, Swaro and Leica, plus Leupold and even Bushnell 40 years ago. The Zeiss, Swaro and Leica are the top three. As has been said, get the very best you can. Eye fatigue is real if you glass all day, quality optics do make a serious difference. I always say if I find one great buck or bull per year that I'd miss with lower quality optics, the money is well spent.

Getting the rangefinder in your binos also makes sense to me. No back-and-forth and if you consider the cost of both, it just as cheap to get the ones in your binos. And it's less to carry and quicker of you are in a hurry.

Anyway, get one of those top three if you can, and get the rangefinder if you can. The binos will last a lifetime and you will be happy you did it. Best of luck in your quest.

But I will say that repair and refurbish work is much more of a hassle with Swaro and especially Leica. They were both slow and Leica was even reluctant to do the work because I did not still have all of my paperwork. From what I know, Leupold and Vortex have much better customer service thand Swaro and Leica.

Tim, how far west?! I live in western wa and 8x32-42 would work great for how dense it is here. When hunting Montana I prefer the 10x50's. Having the opportunity to compare between the vortex fury 5000, Leica hd pro 10x42, the Swarovski slc 10x42's, and the Swarovski 10x50EL's I would go with the EL's or NL pures. Best advice would be check them out at the store to see which one naturally feels better on your eyes and then if you have the opportunity when hunting with a buddy or borrow them in the field.

Zeiss have been very helpful when needed. Got my 3-12×56 repaired for free even though it was my fault. I tightened the rings so much I damaged the tube so it was nearly impossible to turn the magnification ring.
So, I use Zeiss binos and scopes and satisfied.
Have only one Swaro scope nowadays (very good), sold binos and bought Zeiss. Don't have experience with Swarovski customer service.

Last edited:
Both of these companies have the head up their @ss when it comes to ballistic solvers and end users. It's a real shame.
I see alot concerning the clunky ballistic solvers. I like the idea, but again, given a similar price point, how much do you sacrifice in the glass?

IMO, nothing can really compete with Zeiss. Most people don't realize that most of the other manufacturers use Schott glass, which is Zeiss. The new Zeiss 10x42 SFL's in the Victory line are a light weight version of their Victory SF's. I'd highly recommend them. If you're interested in a low light version, look at the Victory 10x54's. I had those for several years, and you can almost "See in the dark" them! LOL Once they came out with those combined with the rangefinder, I switched, and that's what I currently use. The SFL's are definitely lighter weight, but then you'll have to carry a separate rangefinder.

The Nl pure 10x42 are the ticket IMO i've gone down the rabbit hole of trying to find a binocular that is worthy of tripod use for Western game, but at the end of the day, what you always hear people say, is " they are like swarovski"which unfortunately is not the case ha ha if every brand is compared to one brand, what does that tell you about the quality of that one brand swarovski all the way I bought the NL 10x42 after owning several different brands and that is the alpha Glass in my opinion, and to top it off with the NL's 10 you get the field of view of an eight power with the magnification of a 10 buy once cry once learn from my mistake ha ha

I see alot concerning the clunky ballistic solvers. I like the idea, but again, given a similar price point, how much do you sacrifice in the glass?
If you are asking about a vortex or something with AB and the glass then you are sacrificing glass for a solver. How much sacrifice is a good question. I find most people don't glass much so the solver is likely a better choice for them. If you spend time behind glass, like guides, outfitters, and serious outdoorsman, the glass is a better choice. Here is my WHY. The solver on my leica goes to 1000 yards. It works very well for with additional knowledge. If you don't know how to apply aerodynamic jump/drafts, Coriolis, or spin drift, wind etc you are going to have issues making difficult long range shots. If you have that knowledge the glass is going to serve you better. I don't need a range finder giving me solutions to 2000 plus yards for hunting but it is fun, yes indeed. OK, so why not just run good glass and a LRF with solver....... yep good point..... unless you are predator guy like me and going back and forth is a massive problem on movers like wolves and yotes at 500 plus. The amount of ground they can cover in short order is ridiculous so the bino/lrf is better choice for me, one less item I pack, etc. No matter what it boils down to compromise and what is most important to you. For me, I feel swaro and leica are stupid for not just using an AB solver for as far as the LRF will go. My leica will hit 3000 fine but I have to switch to a kestrel bluetooth to get auto solutions for anything past 1000. It's just annoying more than anything. I have a lot of onfidence in the solutions it give me for 1000 and less, I just have to apply drafts, aj, cory, spin, etc but I can do so very quickly in my head.

I have both the Leica and the Swarovski. 10 x 42's are perfect for Western hunting. Either of these manufacturers will not let you down. My suggestion would be to go to your LGS and look through each outside, not in the store. Every bodies eyes are different and you may like one more than the other. I have a paid of older Leica Geovids with the rangefinder n them and I keep going back to them. I also have the Swarovski 10 x 42 EL Rangefinding and I think I still see better through the Leica's so get out and try them before you buy. Good Luck
Best advice given here! Both great! Make sure they are the best for your eyes by checking them out at dusk

I live/hunt in open country, have my whole life (48). I've owned (and still do) flag-ship binoc-only products from Leica, Zeiss, and Swaro. I've also owned LRF/Binoc combo units and spotters from all of them. I don't have a favorite manufacturer. I do have favorite products, that are subject to change at a moment's notice if something better comes along. As to the subject of failures. An LRF/Binoc combo is unlikely to experience an optical problem, it'll be an electronics problem if there is one. Keep your Leica 1600 as backup to a worst-case scenario. I've sent both Leica and Zeiss combo units back. The Leica was off-season, under warrantee, and was gone 4-6wks and fixed on their dime no questions asked. The Zeiss happened on a hunt and Zeiss customer service overnighted me a new set @ no charge (they did take a CC #) so I was out basically 1 day of hunting with the combo and made due w/the combo and a hand-held for the rest of the day.

My current favorite combo unit (and primary glassing tool) is an 8x42 EL Range. This is the only combo that spits out generic (not specific to a load/rifle) yards or meters "true-range" and "angle-compensated range" on the same screen at the same time. Then things get simple, you look @ your chart (mine's under the ocular lens cap) account for drop via the short number and account for wind via the long number. Doesn't matter if you use the reticle, one or both dial/s.

Simple truth, I switch rifles often enough that I don't want to be pigeon-holed into my ballistics info being plugged into the optic. I want the chart in a convenient spot, somewhere on the rifle. I might hunt deer in the AM then switch to hunting pheasants mid-morning and grab a varmint rifle for the ride, then switch back to a deer rifle for the evening. I'm not diddling about with re-programming an optic through that.

I prefer the 8's to 10's (my hunting partner has 10x42 EL Range, I've used them plenty) due to less shake (easier to use hand-held) and the wider field of view.

Full disclosure I also have 15x56 SLC HD and a Leica spotter close at hand when I want a closer look.

My vote overall is for the NL Pure 10x32's. I sold my EL10x42's last year, and have absolutely no regrets. I have hunted almost all of the Western states for a long time, and the Pure's can handle any situation. Go to Swarovki's site and compare the two. 7 oz. lighter, 65 ft. fov better at 1000 ft. Close focus is astonishing at 7 feet. I was actually contemplating selling my Leica 7x42's that I use for bowhunting. Don't laugh, those Leica's are super light, super bright, with a large fov, close focus, for the woods bow hunting I do, and would work well for archery elk in the deep timber to.

I have gone to 15x56 SLC's for spotting, over my Leupold spotting scope as well. I thought the forehead stop looked interesting on the swaro's so I added that and it really helps to keep your eyes from getting to close and fogging. I also use the winged eye cups to reduce that stray bright mountain sun in the am/pm times. Excellent combination.

I have not had to use either of the warranties, Swaro's or Leica. I also use a pair of Zeiss 10x40 Classics that are 30 years old, for just bouncing around in the truck, slamming on the brakes to look out in the open corn or bean fields. The focus wheel seemed to be loose so i sent them in to Zeiss USA under their lifetime warranty. They came back fixed and looking brand new in 3 weeks, no charge of course. For around $600 on Ebay, these are a great choice, money wise, and have really held their value over time. The Pure's are better for sure, but these dang Zeiss Classics are like my most favorite dog, just can't do it.
My local gun shop let me go outside to compare the Swaro's, and I highly recommend that as well.
Good luck!