Help picking out a scope

esshup

Aging eyes, but not using glasses (aside from reading) "yet". Had problems picking up deer in the scope in very low light conditions last year. I'm talking last 2-10 minutes of shooting light in very heavy overcast conditions, from 75 to 250 yds. I was using a Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x50 scope. I could see the deer with the Swarovski 10x40 binoculars but not in the scope. Yeah I know it's not long range, and the gun will never shoot more than 400 yds - it's a Savage muzzleloader in .45 cal. I'm shooting a 195g Barnes 40 cal bullet at 2850 fps.

The deer last year were pressured and weren't moving until nightfall, but they would move during legal shooting time only when there was heavy overcast skies. If it was a sunny day they wouldn't move until well after legal shooting time.

Anyway, I'd like to try to keep the price of the scope under $700 or so (got rings for almost any configuration already).

Illuminated reticle or illuminated center dot would be nice if it isn't too bright to wash out the rest of the picture.

I was thinking something with a 30 mm tube and 56mm objective.

Any suggestions??

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.