Help picking Binoculars

The new NL Pures are amazing. With that said, I have SLC, EL Range and the Pure, all in 10x42. I cant find a thing I don't like about any of them. What I learned a long time ago about optics is, Buy the best you can afford, and that means buy the best to start with as you will own them soon enough anyway, so why waste the time and money on lesser glass now. Buy Swarovski and be happy.

I should clarify my comments about Leica and Swarovski customer service. First, Swarovski was great and responsive. But it took 6-8 weeks to get my spotting scope back. Seemed like a long time for something I use year round. I have 2 Swarovski spotting scopes, so it wasn't a big loss. But it was my big one and I use it a lot.

Leica refused to fix the eyepiece on my spotter. The eyepiece kept falling off because the "latch" that locks it on had somehow malfunctioned. After explaining the issue to multiple folks, they finally relented and said they would fix it one time, and never touch the scope again. I felt a bit let down so I won't get another one of their scopes. But as I wrote, I still have my Leica rangefinding binos and they work perfectly.

So that's my experience with those two companies.

I love my Zeiss 10x42 Concords. I live and hunt Idaho and I mostly only hunt in the desert. Hot Dry and a lot of heat waves to deal with and I'm super happy with how easy they are to focus and look throw. I don't think with the brands you are looking at that there is a bad decision. Maven makes a awesome pair of Bio's as well.

I see alot concerning the clunky ballistic solvers. I like the idea, but again, given a similar price point, how much do you sacrifice in the glass?
You aren't sacrificing with a set of ELs or geovids. But if you already have a Leica rangefinder and you don't need the ballistics software then just get some straight binos. They'll be a little lighter than their RF counterparts. I like using 12x50 binos because when I use them it's for looking at distance and more often than not they go in my pack instead of on my chest when I'm on the move. I use my range master for glassing anything close because it's light and can just go in a pocket. Kind of got in that routine when I bow hunted more. There's more than a few solutions to your needs. Someone like Doug at Camera Land could tell you more than I ever could about specific products but a pair of Noctovids, ELs or NLs are gonna perform forever and not leave more to be desired. I have some Vortex Razor HD 12x50s so I know what it's like to want more. 🤣 they're great for the price though.

I've had two Leica binos. The newer ones seem to have a better rangefinder. Both have performed flawlessly. The new ones I've had for about 3 years. I had the others several years before that. I don't have a single bad word to say about them. Quality and reliability.

I want to thank all who responded and the experience shared.

After going to a couple of places and being able to do some side by side comparisons, this is what I found for MY situation.

ALL examined were 10x42 as this is what I finally decided upon.

After looking through straight binos (Swarovsky NL Pure and EL) vs the Geovid pro, I found the Geovid pro sacrificed optical quality substantially for the price to include the electronics. I must admit, I was in love with the idea of what they were marketed as but found too much data supporting that they were high on promise and low on delivery electronically. Don't get me wrong, they are wonderful tools, but for what I was looking for, they didn't meet my standards. If the optical quality would have been on par with the EL's and the electronics functioning seamlessly, I would have likely been willing to spend an extra 1K for them.

Looking side by side through the EL and NL back and forth, I would get confused and think I was looking through the NL Pure and thinking they looked a little clearer to my eyes only to find I was looking through the EL's. This happened multiple times during the process. I wasn't willing to just make a decision at the time.

I went to another store a couple of weeks later. Now, everything was beginning to really green up. From this store I was also able to look at further distances due to a higher vantage point. Now I was able to see that the NL Pure gave better color rendition and detail at slightly longer distances. This was definitely repeatable. They were very close in performance and I am being extremely critical at this point. Both are exceptional glass.

In the end, I purchased the EL's as I couldn't justify an extra 1K on what I perceived as a small but noticeable improvement, choosing instead to upgrade some other equipment with the savings.

All in all, these are all personal decisions each of us has to make and I am thankful for the assistance and wealth of information shared here. I just wanted to provide some closure here and hopefully help others on their decisions in the future. Thanks again all!

I'm struggling with this same decision…paralysis via analysis one might say.

I really want the 12x Pures but I'm fairly certain I'll hate the fact that the ballistics isn't in them. I've used both the Fury and Sig 3000 for about 5 seasons.

I'm getting closer I feel and currently narrowed in down to two…swarvo TA's or the lieca pros.

The Pures first reaction was WOW…yes, they are that good.

This is what I did when I bought my last pair of Bio's. I don't do drugs but my wife say's I do Amazon instead:cool:. I ordered about 4 different pairs of Bio's and tried them out for 5 different days under different condition and then sent back what I didn't want but I was able to pick out what I like the best. Just a idea, Oh and I'm a Amazon Prime member so shipping is FREE.

This is what I did when I bought my last pair of Bio's. I don't do drugs but my wife say's I do Amazon instead:cool:. I ordered about 4 different pairs of Bio's and tried them out for 5 different days under different condition and then sent back what I didn't want but I was able to pick out what I like the best. Just a idea, Oh and I'm a Amazon Prime member so shipping is FREE.
I never thought of that, but I have always recommended that people look through Binos at Dusk before deciding. I learned my lesson hardway. Also not everybody's eyes see the "same" through a set of Binos. That is why it is important to test them out personally.

Last edited:
Thank you so much sir because folks like you give us that "open box" discounts. Lol.

I have the Swaro 10x32 NL Pure. The glass is just amazing. It is light enough to not be a burden and I don't feel that I am losing more than 10 minutes of twilight with the 10x42 NL Pure. Compared to any other mfg, I feel these can easily compete with the light gathering of any 42mm while also providing superior clarity. I was fortunate enough to compare directly (abet during mid-day) with Zeiss and Vortex at Europtic when I made my purchase.