Help picking Binoculars

Tiny Tim

Looking to purchase some new binoculars for western hunting. I believe I have narrowed it down to 8x42, 10x42, or 10x50. Looking at Swarovsky, Leica, and other European glass. Not tied to a particular brand. Looking for something to wear in a chest harness and compliment my 85mm Razor spotter. I'm leaning toward the 10x42 as they are slightly smaller and lighter. I figure they could be used initially at a new spot and as I travel, even using on a tripod with a qd to quickly switch to the spotter. Is there a decided advantage to a larger objective or lower power given my stated usage.

Also in the Swarovsky line, is the upgrade to the NL Pure worth it? Have heard many prefer the SLC over the EL due to "rolling" around the edges when panning?

Thanks for any and all help.

Buy the best that you can and you won't have regrets. Size and weight being the only benefit of smaller binos for glassing over long distances it comes down to how much you want to carry. The rangefinding binoculars available now are an amazing tool and depending on how you hunt you may not need the monocular RF. Swarovski and Leica are fantastic if you can. There's a lot of other brands that are close for much less. Close.

I have the 10x50 razor UHDs. I've heard that they are comparable to the swaro SLC's.

I really like the 50mm's larger FOV, and I can pretty much see at night with them, given some type of ambient light existing. I like it since I usually pack up a bivy camp before first light and make movement, often I catch some early morning activity.

Buy the best that you can and you won't have regrets. Size and weight being the only benefit of smaller binos for glassing over long distances it comes down to how much you want to carry. The rangefinding binoculars available now are an amazing tool and depending on how you hunt you may not need the monocular RF. Swarovski and Leica are fantastic if you can. There's a lot of other brands that are close for much less. Close.
The combo units are definitely tempting but I'm old school and have a hard time overcoming the idea that if it breaks on a hunt, your completely out of commission (2 is one,1 is none mentality), and the idea that something is sacrificed in putting it all under one roof. What do i give up in glass quality compared to equivalent binos without electronics? I try to be open minded, but it's difficult at times and other than on line, I don't have alot of friends with these types of equipment to play with.

Last edited:
I have both the Leica and the Swarovski. 10 x 42's are perfect for Western hunting. Either of these manufacturers will not let you down. My suggestion would be to go to your LGS and look through each outside, not in the store. Every bodies eyes are different and you may like one more than the other. I have a paid of older Leica Geovids with the rangefinder n them and I keep going back to them. I also have the Swarovski 10 x 42 EL Rangefinding and I think I still see better through the Leica's so get out and try them before you buy. Good Luck