Help me understand burn rate

Temp sensitivity has nothing to do with burn rate other than it gets faster as temp goes up. Temp sensitivity is caused by the make-up of the powder.
The substances used to either slow or quicken the burn is what makes a powder temp sensitive.
Diphenhylamine(sic) is used as a deterrent coating on most double base powders, this causes the temp instability, as it burns first and is affected by outside conditions.

Cheers.

You could sort of correlate powder burn rate with petroleum fuels. For instance different internal combustion engines use different types of fuel. Gasoline engines burn a volatile fuel that requires a spark plug to ignite it. Racing engines also use a methanol or methanol mix fuel. You could put those two fuels engines of different types, I.E. regular gasoline in a methanol drag engine and it will burn it, but might destroy the engine. Methanol in a gasoline engine would be very inefficient but it would probably run. You can burn diesel fuel in a gasoline engine in a pinch and it will run if you can get it started. It will smoke a lot. So I've been told. HeHe. Diesel engines will run great on jet fuel. Or take coal and wood. They are both carbon and by weight, they would probabably have similar BTUs. The coal would take longer to burn and release its heat at a slower rate. Gun powder has different burn rates to make them more efficient. Fast burning powders expend their energy in a shorter ammount of time making them ideal for small cases. Slow powders are ideal for large cases allowing heavy bullets to reach high velocities.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.