Help me get this right!

.300 RUM

For you guys with experience. If you could only hunt with one scope from here on out what would it be and why? I am not so much interested in brands as i am the magnification range ,tube diameter and obj len size.I am getting ready to buy a scope for my first long range gun and would like to get it right the first time.

Max yardage I will shoot=1,000 Min Yardage I will shoot= 100

Game i will hunt = Elk /Deer/Moose

For you guys with experience. If you could only hunt with one scope from here on out what would it be and why? I am not so much interested in brands as i am the magnification range ,tube diameter and obj len size.I am getting ready to buy a scope for my first long range gun and would like to get it right the first time.

Max yardage I will shoot=1,000 Min Yardage I will shoot= 100

Game i will hunt = Elk /Deer/Moose

To Me the best all round scope would be in the range of= 4,5x14x50 with 30mm tube and side focus
also a minimum of 3.5 " of eye relief at max power.

This range of power lets you take running shots and for long range shots 14x is plenty for hunting.

If you are shooting very small game (PDs) at long range then I would step up to a 6.5x 20 x50
with the same features. But that gust about rules out running shots.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Good post. I too have just completed my first LR rifle and now I'm saving up for the scope. I've narrowed my choices down (based on research and opinion, no experience or testing of my own) to the Leupold MK4 6.5-20 and the Nightforce NXS 5.5-22. Seems to be pretty good support for both out there with Nightforce getting a slight edge. At $1800 for the zero stop version, the Nightforce is about $200 higher. Maybe I'll find a good deal on a used one. Good Luck on your search. What did you build? Mine is a Remington M700 SA rebarreled and trued by Hart in a .308 with Jewell trigger, HS Precision stock, PSS bolt and other goodies. I have a set of Badger Ordanance mount and rings for the scope once I get up enough scratch.

No Brainer for me---USO SN3. Built to my specs and tough enough to take off and beat most other scopes into scrap and still go onto the rifle and shoot bug holes.

I am building a .300 RUM. Started with the sendero and made some mods to the HS stock. Ive added a brake and jewell trigger. Sent the bolt up to kampfeld for spiral fluting and tac knob. Just ordered some murphy precision rings and a base. The scope has been the hardest thing for me to pull the trigger on. I first wanted to go with something in the range of 5x25-52 but have read about the "mirage" issues at this high of a magnification. Since i have never shot at these distances i am going soley on others recomendations and opinions. How much are the US optics? My max budget for a scope is 2k.

Also, I am looking for the best place to buy 300 rounds of federal premium ammo any suggestions on this would be appreciated!

Us optics start @ 2000.00. But, and I qoute, " If you could only hunt with one scope from here on out what would it be and why?" Than US Optics. Why, customization. You will get what you pay for. For me, a little on the heavy side, but built tough. Glass, I'm comparing to my night force, may be a touch better. You customize your scope the way you want it. Reticle scale, objective tube size, color, eye relief etc.... More customization, more cost. Having it my way.
Buy the best and cry once JMO.

I saw you mention needing Federal ammo. Keep in mind that if you wanna shoot past 500 yds you're gonna need to shoot handloads. gun)

Is there a company that will develop and build loads to spec ?????? I know nothing about handloading nor do I have the equipment or time to learn. If such an outfit is out there who are they and how much would something like this cost?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.