Help me decide short barrel 6mm

6 creedmoor all day! I've never shot dtacs but I've been told they sometimes require a 7.5tw whereas pretty much everything else 80-110gr can be ran in an 8tw. You can get really good headstamped brass in 6creed from Peterson or ADG or Alpha. I don't think you are gonna be unhappy with the 6creedmoor.

I have a lightweight 6 creed 18" 7 twist. I'm getting an impressive 3040 with RL26 and 105 amax. It's hell on whitetail.

I just sold a 20" running 105 hybrids. It was running 3010 in an 8 twist. This thing punched way above its weight class in animals.

I've got a barrel in order and picked up an Sig Cross to build another one.

Personally, I'd be looking in the 105 weight class with a barrel that short.

HUNTER609,

Your 2 choices are both great …. Probably not a bad choice between the 2 depending on how much up front work you wanted. One more option you might consider though is the 6 DASHER. It is an amazingly accurate choice … and is known for having exceptional nodes and easy to 'tune' for to get those nodes. Of course …. now ALPHA Munitions makes their own 6 Dasher brass which is EXCEPTIONAL quality and consistency … and does not require any fire-forming (Unlike other brass options and other chamber options).

You'd likely end up shooting a 105 grain bullet with this …. It it shoots lights out with many bullets in that weight class.

So … one additional option for you that gives you : easy setup and no fireforming, excellent brass options, incredible accuracy and well known loads/nodes.

Good luck with the build.

Dasher scrubs a lot of speed when you start cutting the barrels down, in my experience. I've tried it and if I can remember it was 2700-2750 in a 20". Big difference 200+fps make with those 105's.

I've burnt my fair share of dasher (and brx) barrels out and if I could shoot them short, I'd be doing it. ;)

As mentioned already, you might like to look at 6XC. It gets near 6CM speeds but also gets a lot more barrel life, which is also why I wouldn't go with the .243/243AI. This past weekend I shot a match with my 6XC and the barrel has over 2700 rounds on it and has only lost about 30fps since new. Of the other 2 barrels I have for it one has over 2200 rounds and the other over 2600. All three barrels still have extreme accuracy. Alpha Munitions make great brass for this cartridge.
Another consideration could be 6SLR. It gets much better barrel life than .243. I competed with this cartridge for 5 seasons. If you'd like more info, please reach out and I'll answer any questions you have.

How much does velocity matter in this application? I have a 24" 6 creed and I love it, but once this barrel is shot out I'll be going to a 6 dasher. The difference in velocity isn't going to affect my hit percentage at all, and it's a much more efficient cartridge.

Would be nice if you actually offered something helpful vs just shitting on the guys question. SMH
I was just hoping to get him thinking (for himself) about why this would be.
A spoon-fed answer, even while correct, is often less helpful..
But to seem less offensive I'll add that an 18" barrel is all wrong for use of a heavy for cal bullet (115DTAC).

You have to use slow powder with heavy bullets, and he will not have the barrel length to burn it.
This raises muzzle pressures to such an extreme that you can generate a secondary pressure peaks (throughout the barrel) that can be considerably higher than the primary peak. It's analogous to undercharge detonations.
This can lead to early pressure problems, poor brass life, and accuracy issues.
It would be different if he was going subsonic, but then he wouldn't need overbore case capacities (like 243AI) to do that.
In summary, If extremely short barrels worked for ****, we would all be using them by now.

I just sold a 20" running 105 hybrids. It was running 3010 in an 8 twist. This thing punched way above its weight class in animals.
I feel the same way. My 1:7.5 twist is 24" and the 105gr Hybrids have been simply fantastic on deer and hogs. I like it so much I'm going to build another with a 20-18" bbl for a better stand gun.