Help me decide: Minimum caliber for larger NA game

"Question: Lightest recoiling caliber, available in a gun model that is somewhat adjustable, at least minimally capable of ethical moose/bear shot at 300 yds? "

You own one already.
This was my thought as well. I don't hunt moose, but my understanding is they are larger than, but not harder to kill than elk.

Now if we're talking large brown bears, that changes things. Honestly how often is the OP going to be shooting at brown bears? I'd buy a separate large caliber rifle, specifically for that purpose

I would get a 6.5 PRC unless you want a bit more gun then maybe a 6.5SAUM, but if you want that maybe a 7SAUM or a 7mag, but it's hard to beat a 280ai, but I think the 300WSM does beat it by a bit but not as bad as a 300 win mag which is not quite as good as a 300 Norma but even that is bested by a 300 UM which also is not quite up to a 338 win mag but if you are going to go to a 338 win mag you might as well do a 338 Lapua Mag.....and even though I have all of those-I almost always grab my XML45! Get them all, it's just more fun that way.

30-06 or a 308 will do everything that walks in North America.Shooting 600 yards and beyond is just more than most folks will ever be able to do.If you want to shoot long range I hope you have #1 a place to do it.#2 buckets of money to spend on ammo.#3 Able to dedicate 3 or 4 days a week to shooting .#4 Have the money to take a dedicated course in long range shooting.#5 have time to run daily.#6 Have access to weight equipment 3 days a week.
Everybody has their own idea on what cartridge you need to shoot.Thats fine,but you have to remember when you are in the middle of a small rural area and you need ammo,you need some thing that every little gas station will carry.
There are no short cuts to being a good shot.No magical cartridge,caliber or bullet .What makes you a good shot is practice,practice,practice with what ever you use.By the way I have hunted Finland and Sweden where 6.5 and 308 cartridges do just fine on Moose.JMHO,Huntz
There is no reason anyone would need to practice 3-4 days a week to be able to shoot beyond 600yards accurately. That is simply not a valid statement.

I read the initial post and the first page, I didn't make it passed that.

My recommendation is the 28 Nosler or 300 PRC or 300 WM. A 7mm RM can come close. The 6.8 Western is also a round that appeals to me. I really like 7mms though. For my first "all-around" big game gun I chose the 7mm WSM. I've since had a 7mm-08 which I liked but wouldn't consider it for more than 400 yards on deer or elk.

My current favorite is my 28 Nosler, it's around 10lbs (almost on the nose). With a good break it's way less snappy and I'd enjoy shooting that all day over even my 243 WSSM or 6.5 Creedmoor that come in around 8-9lbs with no break. The break is loud, but it makes it a sweet shooting rifle. The only reason I'd rather shoot something else more frequently is due to barrel life. With a $900 barrel on it, I'd really rather not have to replace that too soon.

If you're on the hunt for a capable longer range and bigger game rifle and don't want recoil you'll need a break as those cartridges come with more powder and heavier bullet weights.

Nosler and a couple of others make 280 AI's as well. That's a milder recoiling cartridge that should be given some consideration as well.

Everybody has their own idea on what cartridge you need to shoot.Thats fine,but you have to remember when you are in the middle of a small rural area and you need ammo,you need some thing that every little gas station will carry.
I really hate hearing this argument for a reason to choose or not choose a certain cartridge. Short of going to Canada or somewhere overseas this is a cop out to shooting new or unique cartridges that work. Even when I fly with a rifle (or pistol) I never had the issue of running out of ammo or needing to stop at a gas station to buy ammo. I wouldn't want shoot that crap in my rifles anyway because I have no data on them. If my ammo doesn't show up that means my gun didn't show up either. I'll usually take a full box, 50 rounds, with me if I go on a trip an hour away or a plane ride and a day away, and that's ammo I trust and I know because I loaded it myself.

Distance is a big factor. In 2020, I shot a cow Elk at 805 yds with a 7mm mag. Broadside, hit no bone but still did not exit back side. She only went about 75yds. However, she was still alive with her head up even after I walked the 800 yds. up to her. Had to shoot her in the head. I won't be shooting that long of a distance again as I hate seeing animals suffer. This was the first time in a lifetime of hunting Elk that I double lunged an Elk that wasn't dead when I walked up to it.
Really curious as to what bullet you were using.

I read the initial post and the first page, I didn't make it passed that.

My recommendation is the 28 Nosler or 300 PRC or 300 WM. A 7mm RM can come close. The 6.8 Western is also a round that appeals to me. I really like 7mms though. For my first "all-around" big game gun I chose the 7mm WSM. I've since had a 7mm-08 which I liked but wouldn't consider it for more than 400 yards on deer or elk.

My current favorite is my 28 Nosler, it's around 10lbs (almost on the nose). With a good break it's way less snappy and I'd enjoy shooting that all day over even my 243 WSSM or 6.5 Creedmoor that come in around 8-9lbs with no break. The break is loud, but it makes it a sweet shooting rifle. The only reason I'd rather shoot something else more frequently is due to barrel life. With a $900 barrel on it, I'd really rather not have to replace that too soon.

If you're on the hunt for a capable longer range and bigger game rifle and don't want recoil you'll need a break as those cartridges come with more powder and heavier bullet weights.

Nosler and a couple of others make 280 AI's as well. That's a milder recoiling cartridge that should be given some consideration as well.
??? If you're shooting equal bullets and charges it should be almost identical to that of the 7RM.

I really hate hearing this argument for a reason to choose or not choose a certain cartridge. Short of going to Canada or somewhere overseas this is a cop out to shooting new or unique cartridges that work. Even when I fly with a rifle (or pistol) I never had the issue of running out of ammo or needing to stop at a gas station to buy ammo. I wouldn't want shoot that crap in my rifles anyway because I have no data on them. If my ammo doesn't show up that means my gun didn't show up either. I'll usually take a full box, 50 rounds, with me if I go on a trip an hour away or a plane ride and a day away, and that's ammo I trust and I know because I loaded it myself.
No, it's certainly not a cop out it's simply being practical.

If you do all of your hunting close to home it's not that big of a deal but many a dream hunt where people had to travel to the location has been seriously screwed up when something unexpected happened to their ammo.

If you're flying its a really big concern because while airlines tend to pay real close attention to the handling of firearms cases, your ammo which has to ship in another separate case doesn't get the same level of attention and can just as easily be lost as your suitcase full of clothes.

May years ago my dad and best friend made a trip to colorado for a deep in Elk hunt. On morning one one of the pack animals got into a panic crossing a river and lost it's load.

They manage to recover dad's ammo box after a few hours but all of it was ruined.

Thankfully a store down the road a few miles had both 7RM and 30-06 in stock.

That little screw up cost them a half a day but it could have literaly ended their hunt if he was shooting a rare obsolete/orphaned cartridge or a wildcat.

??? If you're shooting equal bullets and charges it should be almost identical to that of the 7RM.
What should be identical? The 28 Nosler? If you're shooting equal chargers in a 7mm RM and a 28 Nosler you're either way over loading one or way under loading the other.

Last edited:
No, it's certainly not a cop out it's simply being practical.

If you do all of your hunting close to home it's not that big of a deal but many a dream hunt where people had to travel to the location has been seriously screwed up when something unexpected happened to their ammo.

If you're flying its a really big concern because while airlines tend to pay real close attention to the handling of firearms cases, your ammo which has to ship in another separate case doesn't get the same level of attention and can just as easily be lost as your suitcase full of clothes.

May years ago my dad and best friend made a trip to colorado for a deep in Elk hunt. On morning one one of the pack animals got into a panic crossing a river and lost it's load.

They manage to recover dad's ammo box after a few hours but all of it was ruined.

Thankfully a store down the road a few miles had both 7RM and 30-06 in stock.

That little screw up cost them a half a day but it could have literaly ended their hunt if he was shooting a rare obsolete/orphaned cartridge or a wildcat.
Yeah, crap can happen. I've always flown with my ammo in my rifle case that way it gets the same attention. Again, I wouldn't want to shoot a box of "whatever I can find" because I have no idea what it's going to do. I don't have time to get any data on it. With todays climate, it's certainly a cop out. If you think you'll be able to find any ammo at a rural gas station your head has been under a rock.

Last edited:
Yeah, crap can happen. I've always flown with my ammo in my rifle case that way it gets the same attention. Again, I wouldn't want to shoot a box of "whatever I can find" because I have no idea what it's going to do. I don't have time to get any data on it. With todays climate, it's certainly a cop out. If you think you'll be able to find any ammo at a rural gas station your head has been under a rock.
If you fly international most countries now require they be in separate cases now so that can really bite you. I've not flown to a hunting destination CONUS since 911 so I'm really not up on it but I'd sure check before planning such a trip. I know when my brother flew to Idaho for his hunt he borrowed my ammo case and two rifles. If I'm lucky I may get the ammo box and one of the rifles back some day. 😂

Distance is a big factor. In 2020, I shot a cow Elk at 805 yds with a 7mm mag. Broadside, hit no bone but still did not exit back side. She only went about 75yds. However, she was still alive with her head up even after I walked the 800 yds. up to her. Had to shoot her in the head. I won't be shooting that long of a distance again as I hate seeing animals suffer. This was the first time in a lifetime of hunting Elk that I double lunged an Elk that wasn't dead when I walked up to it.
What bullet? I use a 7rem mag with 180 hybrids at 3050fps, 800-850 is about maxed for an elk, but should be suitable, I double lunged an elk at 600 two years ago and she died quickly.

This is kind of a nonsensical comment. Eskimos will make anything available work. If money and supplies weren't an issue, do you think they would still choose those guns? Or the boats and huts they use?
To suggest their former/current choices are optimal when better options are available is willfully ignorant.
For clarity, I have amazing respect for what they achieve.
Native people and locals have the advantage of time, local knowledge, and are usually hunting for meat. Totally different scenario than a person on a seven day trip hunting for a trophy...

If you fly international most countries now require they be in separate cases now so that can really bite you. I've not flown to a hunting destination CONUS since 911 so I'm really not up on it but I'd sure check before planning such a trip. I know when my brother flew to Idaho for his hunt he borrowed my ammo case and two rifles. If I'm lucky I may get the ammo box and one of the rifles back some day. 😂
When we flew to South Africa a few years ago we split our ammo up between the ammo boxes on the trip. That way if one was lost or delayed, each of us would at least have some ammo to hunt with.