Help deciding what Twist for AR15

killahog

I could use a little help in deciding what twist for the new AR upper I am planning on buying. I will primarily be using the gun for shooting coyotes that are being pursude by the beagles we use to hunt them with. Shots will be anywhere from 100 to 500 yards. I would like to use bullets in the 40 to 55 Grain weight. I am considering ordering from WOA as I am somewhat of an accuracy nut and frequently take head shots on the coyotes that come in close to the call . I honestly would not be satisfied with anything that cannot hold under 3/4 in ant 100 yards. Thank you

My Dad has a Rock River with the WYL-Ehide camo finish and it has a 1:9 inch twist. He consistently gets 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards with a 40 grn v-max. I think a 1:9 would do just fine for your application.

9 twist is what you want. It will shoot anything from 40s up to some 77 grs.

I like the 8 twist for my Coyote AR. It is a Stag with the 24" heavy barrel. I prefer heavier bullets for longer shots with less wind drift but it will shoot the factory loaded 50's and 55's with .75 moa accuracy you speak of. Plus I have enough twist for just about any bullet I would want to try down to 50's. Not sure about 40's, I see no reason to even try them.

Jeff

Thank you all for the information. The 1-9 appears to be the twist most preferred. I already have a 1-14 twist upper chambered for the 40 grain pills.

1-7 twist you can shoot the 62gr to 77 gr........

The Sierra 77 Matchking most excellent in the 1-7 twist

Faster than 9 will eat up light jacketed 22 cal pills. I'd get a 8 or 9" twist and put 75-77 grain pills through it. I'm running 75 grain priv partisan or hornady match with either h4895 or tac in my 9" twist dpms classic 20" and she'll hold moa 5 shot moa groups at 100.

Well a 9 would work up to 77s but he wants to shoot 40-55 grainers so I'd get a 1-12 if thats all you plan on shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts