Need help deciding what to do with a new barrel purchase

mfran615

Long story short, I ordered a Defiance Tenacity SA from Brownells and had it sent to Keystone Accuracy to have John turn a barrel for me. I purchased a Brux 7mm blank from him to have him spin up a 7 SAUM barrel, but I have decided I want to go with a carbon barrel for my mountain rifle. He was going to refund me until he realized he already cut the threads for the action. I was going to have it cut to 22" and a #4 heavy sporter contour. Since he hasn't done anything but cut the threads, I have a few options. I can 1) go ahead and have him cut the barrel as planned, 2) have him send me the tube as-is and hope I can sell it to someone who wants a Brux 7mm barrel cut for a Defiance action, or 3) have him make a longer heavy palma barrel and build a 7 SAUM range gun down the road. I'd rather not spend the money on a barrel I won't be using for a while, but I'm not necessarily opposed to just holding onto it until I get around to building a 7 SAUm for the range. What are your opinions?

Last edited:
I'm leaning that direction. I know I can eventually use it. so it's not the end of the world, but at the same time I wouldn't mind recouping the money for this build. I might just have to build another rifle sooner than later.

If I am not mistaken, defiance action threading is the same as the rem 700 action. If so I would sell it as unchambered and full length and you would most likely recoup your cost. As to the black referred to above, in your post it says black instead of blank.
I purchased a Brux 7mm black from him

If I am not mistaken, defiance action threading is the same as the rem 700 action. If so I would sell it as unchambered and full length and you would most likely recoup your cost. As to the black referred to above, in your post it says black instead of blank.
I had considered going that route, but I've decided I'm going to go ahead and build my 7 SAUM range gun now and tackle the mountain rifle later. I'm likely going to apply for elk in AZ this year but don't have many preference points yet, so good chance I won't even get drawn. Initially I had decided I wanted to build a mountain rifle in 7 saum, but then when I ran into this snag, I decided I might as well build a range gun too. I have an immediate use for a range gun, but not necessarily a mountain rifle. I can put one of those together later on when the need arises.