New to long range shooting need some help deciding what to do.

Hutch12

Hello ladies and gentlemen. I'll start out by giving a little information about my self. I'm currently 18 and i'm living in Tennessee, looking to get that first rifle in my name soon. I have been wondering if I want to get a at-15 or some other rifle. I grew up hunting ever since my father would take me out with the 410. I really didn't have much free time to hunting due to the sports I played during high school. I have always loved the thoughts of shooting long range. I doubt many people have heard of a game called arma. This game is a military simulator game which took bullet drop into effect. The new one players have added wind into the game also. I would also try shooting out to 300 yards with smaller optics/iron sights. I think that is plenty of information about me now.

Now onto the questions and such I have. My goal is to go out west every year and try for a moose and also take some trips across the states to Alaska or other places with great game. So the questions I have is "what gun should I get?" I know a lot of people will say go with a 300 ultra or something a long theses lines. I was thinking about getting two rifles. One to shoot at paper and such for fun, which should be a cheaper caliber to shoot. Then one I shoot to check the sights and to take to the hills for elk and such. Yes, I will be reloading my ammo if this female running for office will stop scaring people into hoarding primers and such.

So Question's......
  1. What should my frist long range rifle be with out breaking the bank?
  2. (For question 1) How much would reloading this round normally cost?
  3. What optics would be a good choice you guys thing to start out with?
  4. Should I order a after market barrel and such for my firearm and contruct it my self?
Any other information would be great! Also feel free to ask me some questions!

Thanks
-Hutch

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.