Help choose next pack rifle (3 options)

Which lightweight rifle would you choose?

• Browning X-Bolt Pro in burnt bronze ($1,650)

• Christensen Arms Ridgeline ($1,930)

• Kimber Mountain Ascent ($1,620)

• (Late addition - Barrett Fieldcraft ($1,622))

Results are only viewable after voting.
For those of you that already own a Barrett, I read elsewhere that some folks received a voucher for Talley rings. Is that something that comes with all of them or only a limited time deal?

The Barrett Fieldcraft comes with Tally rings. A friend just bought one from Cabelas and it came with the rings.

My Fieldcraft, purchased through Cabela's, came with a set of Talley lightweight (medium) rings in the box.

My Fieldcraft, purchased through Cabela's, came with a set of Talley lightweight (medium) rings in the box.
Thanks jebel. 1" or 30mm? Assuming it's 1"... I'll be mounting a VX5 (44 objective so medium should be fine there) and hoping it's 30 or they allow them to be swapped out if I go that route.

If you don't buy a rifle you have listed the cheapest route to go is buy an used Kimber Montana and a #1 Benchmark or #2 contour Bartlein/Benchmak barrel, and drop it off to your Gunsmith have the action trued/squared and bedded, Trigger lightened and your good to go !
The Montana is an all stainless CRF action, it has an excellent adjustable trigger, and a Kevlar CF stock, add in an excellent barrel and its an all custom rifle,
I have built many going this route and they are light and accurate.

I think this is great advice. Those ultralight rifles are difficult to shoot well, however with a #2 barrel, a Montana balances a little better (weight forward), and a few extra ounces will help slow down the 30-06 recoil. I've tried very hard to love ultralight rifles, but my rifle with the most kills is a 7.5lb (out the door) 30-06.

I was looking hard at the Superlite's and really like what they offer at that price point but, they're 1:11 twist.

I just checked into this, your right and thats a bummer!! Tikka even does a 11 twist on their 300win. Thats a deal breaker for me too because I believe in heavy for caliber bullets especially for elk and such. The 11 twist wont gives us the full potential of the 30-06

James

$$$$$$$
If you have it just about any brand rifle can do the job.
However, Remington, Winchester, and Savage are very common. There is after market components for them. You can build an accurate piece for a reasonable investment.
My Son is an excellent riflemen who has learned to shot out to 1300 yards very effectively. He has used rifles I've built over the years using Remington 700s. A few years ago he informed me that what I've built aren't as effective or accurate as many of the custom builds being produced today. Because he's allot smarter than I am, he ordered a custom built rifle to the tune of $1200.00, to include a NF Scope and custom loaded bullets, a new NF Spotting Scope, and G7 Rangefinder. $20K later, he has shot at 4 elk and 6 deer. They never made it to his freezer. On the other hand his 72 year old Disabled Vietnam Marine Combat Veteran OLD MAN has spanked his sorry *** with 5 elk, 5 deer, 3 hogs, a 150 coyotes on my journey to the rocking chair!

Anyone who enjoys hunting and shooting needs to learn the basics and practice every chance they have. Get good coaching and listen to us old guys that have been hunting and harvesting food for generations.

I have been a hunter, U.S. Marine (5 years Active), a competitive military shooter, DCM competitor in civilian life and outdoorsman my entire life.

I wish you all success
Gonzo

I think this is great advice. Those ultralight rifles are difficult to shoot well, however with a #2 barrel, a Montana balances a little better (weight forward), and a few extra ounces will help slow down the 30-06 recoil. I've tried very hard to love ultralight rifles, but my rifle with the most kills is a 7.5lb (out the door) 30-06.

yes being a 30-06 as the chosen caliber a #2 barrel would be about perfect for a lightweight build, here's a few pictures of a donation rifle I just had built in the same manner, Kimber Montana 84L, 6.5-284, 24" #2 Benchmark, Leupold 4.5-14x40 30mm CDS

I think if I had to pick out of the 3 it would be a CA and I would swap the stock out. Barrett would be my next choice they look really nice as well.

$$$$$$$
If you have it just about any brand rifle can do the job.
However, Remington, Winchester, and Savage are very common. There is after market components for them. You can build an accurate piece for a reasonable investment.
My Son is an excellent riflemen who has learned to shot out to 1300 yards very effectively. He has used rifles I've built over the years using Remington 700s. A few years ago he informed me that what I've built aren't as effective or accurate as many of the custom builds being produced today. Because he's allot smarter than I am, he ordered a custom built rifle to the tune of $1200.00, to include a NF Scope and custom loaded bullets, a new NF Spotting Scope, and G7 Rangefinder. $20K later, he has shot at 4 elk and 6 deer. They never made it to his freezer. On the other hand his 72 year old Disabled Vietnam Marine Combat Veteran OLD MAN has spanked his sorry --- with 5 elk, 5 deer, 3 hogs, a 150 coyotes on my journey to the rocking chair!

Anyone who enjoys hunting and shooting needs to learn the basics and practice every chance they have. Get good coaching and listen to us old guys that have been hunting and harvesting food for generations.

I have been a hunter, U.S. Marine (5 years Active), a competitive military shooter, DCM competitor in civilian life and outdoorsman my entire life.

I wish you all success
Gonzo

Agree with everything you said.

But if I was looking for an ultralight backpack rifle with a budget of around 2K, I doubt you could do better than the Fieldcraft or the Kimber Mountain Ascent. Tweaking a 700 to achieve the same results will surely cost you more.

The Fieldcraft will almost certainly shoot very well, and if it didn't Barrett will make it right.

The Kimber will likely shoot well too, but if it didn't then Kimber CS will PROBABLY make it right (but if not, after rebarreling it you'll be into it for a good bit more than the Fieldcraft).

The Havak is a good option, but at 7lbs it's not an ultralight. And neither are the Browning or the CA Ridgeline.

A wise rifleman once said;
"A well put together rifle solves most reloading problems before thay can happen"
I have two now out of production Tikka T3 Lights. That have shot everything I've fed them including one elcheapo factory load very well.
None of my other rifles have done that.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.